Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Red poo in a 17 month old????

(10 Posts)
alkar Thu 12-Nov-09 10:58:01

My godson has been having very red poo for a while now. It happens every few weeks for a couple of days each time. I work in a lab and have tested it for blood - negative, and I am stumped. A day before the red poo incidents he has been very unhappy and hardly eating. His mum hasn't given him anything with red dye in it.

Does anyone have any ideas?

MaryBS Thu 12-Nov-09 11:02:27

I would go to the Drs, but what about red foods - tomatoes, carrots, etc?

alkar Thu 12-Nov-09 13:32:38

It really doesn't seem to be linked to the food he eats???

BopaCar Thu 12-Nov-09 13:34:48

What has the doctor suggested it might be?

TrillianAstra Thu 12-Nov-09 13:34:52

If you and this poster get together you can mix it and both have brown grin

Sorry, saw both in active and couldn't resist.

trixymalixy Thu 12-Nov-09 13:42:08

My DS always has red poo after eating red jelly. Gave us a heart attack the first time it happened!!

Prunerz Thu 12-Nov-09 13:42:36

Are you sure he hasn't eaten beetroot?
I am only double checking because it surprises me every time blush

Pheebe Thu 12-Nov-09 17:36:52

DS2 does this. Red fruits cause it for him, raspberries, plums, strawberries stuff like that. He loves humzingers and the red ones of those are the culprits almost every time. Other red food does it too even if only apprently smalll amounts (tomatoes, jelly etc). Scared the bejesus out of me the first time I can tell you.

IneedacleanerIamalazyslattern Thu 12-Nov-09 17:42:33

Cherries are a good one for making red poo as well my friend got a big shock the first time.
A lot of blueberries give it a lovely navy blue tinge too.

How red is red? It does seem most likely that there is something he is eating that is causing it!

cakeslover Thu 12-Nov-09 18:58:52

my DD always has red poo after eating beetroot! it scares me every time..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now