Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

please help, my son is screaming in pain - nappy rash but it doesn't look bad

(10 Posts)
PyrotechnicToadstool Wed 11-Nov-09 15:14:04

he's been crying for 30 minutes and i can;t understand why, it is barely even red - wiped offcream with water on case thst was making it worse, took nappy off, put a new one on as he asked - now what?

typing one handed as he is screaming on myp lap

got 2.5ml calpol in but refused more

PyrotechnicToadstool Wed 11-Nov-09 15:15:40

thought it was tiredness he usually naps from 2-4 but dropping it

there is no broken skin

reikizen Wed 11-Nov-09 15:16:19

How old is he? Are you sure it is nappy rash that is hurting?

TheMightyToosh Wed 11-Nov-09 15:19:11

Sit him in some water. Wiping it might not do the trick/might irritate it more. DD had similar when she was about 10 mths - we stcuk her straight in warm water to 'soak' and it soothed it immediately.

PyrotechnicToadstool Wed 11-Nov-09 15:24:35

he is just 2, never seemed bothered when he's had a bit of a rash in the past and has had much worse when teething

he isn't saying much and if i don't see or smell (boak) that he's pooed i don't know, so i make a habit of checking frequently - so it can't have been that long ago that he did

i took him upstairs and said let's have a quick bath but he just screamed more - maybe the kitchen sink will have more novelty

crying died down, it just felt like it had gone on forever

thank you both

reikizen Wed 11-Nov-09 16:33:38

Oh it's horrible when they can't tell you what it is isn't it? Calpol is definitely a good first line of defence imo!

PyrotechnicToadstool Wed 11-Nov-09 17:56:26

Thanks reikizen, he is all better now not sure if it was his nappy though, or maybe a combination of things - nappy, teething (chewing his hand all day - but not resulted in the gross nappies it usually does?), tiredness...

oh well, fingers crossed for a peaceful night

Jacksmama Wed 11-Nov-09 17:58:17

Try sitting his bottom in a cool bath with baking soda (sodium bicarb). Possibly it could be a bit of thrush? Try Canesten cream?

Hope he feels better soon, poor bunny.

PyrotechnicToadstool Wed 11-Nov-09 18:33:19

Thanks Jacksmama, what does thrush look like? Never even considered it shock I'll get DP to pop a bit of bicarb in his bedtime bath.

He has refused his dinner - probably down to being tired - and instead is munching on his third dry oatcake hmm children are weird, no?

Jacksmama Thu 12-Nov-09 04:12:14

Toddlers' eating habits are extremely strange. I just fed mine a whole bunch of mashed sweet potato off my huge wooden cooking spoon. Then I handed him his little plastic spoon and he threw a fit. hmm

Thrush is easily confused with nappy rash - can look exactly like it, or extremely different. Very red sometimes, sometimes not very red but with bumps, sometimes with pimply-looking spots. It's supposed to be painful . Canesten cream usually clears it up in a short time. You can also try giving him some powdered acidophilus supplements for babies/ toddlers. HMF Natogen is a good brand, as is Bio-Gaia. I don't know where to get them in the U.K. though, I'm sorry.

Good luck!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now