Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Cough for 4wks, Would you take 3yo back to doctors?

(6 Posts)
Claire2009 Tue 10-Nov-09 20:41:11

DD is 3yrs old, she's had a cough for at least a month now. I went to the doc with her approx. 2wks ago because she was coughing at night and not sleeping well. He gave phenergen and said to continue giving her tixylix/lintus during the day and phenergen at night. I haven't given her phenergen due to the side effects it can cause (hyperactivity most common) and have just kept up with the tixylix/lintus.

Last night she vomited due to coughing, she's coughing on/off during the day and night, once she starts she has trouble stopping.

Would you take her back to the doctor? There is no history of asthma but I suppose you never know? I'm not sure if this is 'just' a winter cough or more... I had it myself but it went after 2wks.

CMOTdibbler Tue 10-Nov-09 20:43:40

Yes, I'd def take her back. She needs to be checked for a chest infection, and see if she is maybe a bit wheezy

twolittlekings Tue 10-Nov-09 20:51:57

I am not a dr but Sounds like she might be asthmatic - coughing at night is a definite symptom. My DS 1 is asthmatic (viral induced so only when he has a cold). It is managed by a preventer and then Salbutamol when he needs it.

Personally I don't agree with cough medicines since you are only treating the symptoms and not the cause. If it is not an infection then you could ask the dr for a trial of salbutamol to see if it makes a difference. You would use it as soon as they gat a cough for a cretain period of time the cold lasts. If she responds to it then it might then be worth getting a referral to a consultant??

Lots of people immediately panic when they hear the term "asthma" I know I did but my DS is now 4.5 and he has had it since he was 1. It just becomes part of life and he may still grow out of it.

Another option might be to put your daughter in a steamy room a few times a day and I often give DS a little warm water with honey and lemon squeezeed into it which can help. It all depends on the cause of the cough.

Coughs can linger for ages - back in the summer DS developed a non asthmatic cough that hung around for about 4 weeks - really irritating as all he did was clear his throat and it was very phlegmy!!

Claire2009 Wed 11-Nov-09 12:52:32

Thankyou for the replies

She's being sick everytime she coughs now and not all interested in eating because of it!

Doc appt at 2.30pm so hope we can get some answers.

Also, she's really itchy, she's took some skin off at the back of her neck/top of back due to scratching? She just keeps saying "I got an itch" ?

Claire2009 Wed 11-Nov-09 18:22:04

Right, just a little update, doc says cough/itching is due to an allergy and to give her phenergen for a week to see if that works, if not to go back?

PixieOnaLeaf Thu 12-Nov-09 16:42:13

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now