Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Bad cough in 7 month old baby

(10 Posts)
you Tue 10-Nov-09 17:01:08

Is there anything I can do?

She's been quite poorly since Friday with a high temp/ cough/ not feeding etc, but seems MUCH better today, happily crawling around, feeding well but is finding it really difficult to sleep as she just coughs and wakes up immediately.

I've propped her mattress up a bit but even upright in the sling she's struggling to rest. It's quite a wet, chesty cough but no wheezing or breathing difficulties. I was giving calpol while she was ill but haven't given any today as she seems so much better, do you think I should give it now anyway in case her throat hurts from all the coughing?

Or is there anything else I can try? i'm just desperate for her to get some rest, poor thing sad

Wags Tue 10-Nov-09 17:49:29

Have you got or anyone you know that could whizz one round to you a humidifier? They work really well and help with the coughing at night. I dont add anything to it although for older children think you can add stuff to make it menthol or whatever.

PixieOnaLeaf Tue 10-Nov-09 17:50:28

Message withdrawn

you Tue 10-Nov-09 17:51:27

Oh poo, no we don't sad

I could pick one up tommorrow though possibly if they're not too expensive.

Wags Tue 10-Nov-09 17:55:14

Argos have a selection, cheapest is £24.99. I have a few friends that have them so never bothered to get one myself. Some you have to really put loads of towels underneath else everything gets wet. The more expensive sort don't seem to do this. Don't suppose you are near SE London anywhere?

Wags Tue 10-Nov-09 17:55:59

Radiator thing is a good one as well, SIL who is a nurse always recommends that.

callmeovercautious Tue 10-Nov-09 17:57:44

Warm bath, olbas oil on a tissue near the head end of the cot/under sheet and some snufflebabe on the chest.

Give a small dose of calpol just to be sure it is not pain keeping her awake.

A friend also swears by a sliced onion on a plate near the cot but not sure if I could stand the smell myself grin

I second the wet towels on the radiator too - much cheaper than a humidifier.

you Tue 10-Nov-09 18:38:13

Thank you so much everyone...
Am not near SEL unfortunately, will try everything else, I love the radiator trick

Fingers crossed she gets some rest.

wellbalanced Tue 10-Nov-09 21:11:48

We've been giving baby meltus for chesty cough, seems to be shifting, Also giving calpol at some point due to cutting teeth and any other pain linked with cough.

diddle Wed 11-Nov-09 20:17:50

my 7 month old DS is just the same. poor little mites, hope your daughter improves soon

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now