Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Do you wake a sleep toddler with a high temp?

(7 Posts)
Clare123 Mon 09-Nov-09 21:18:54

Just wondering what I sould do. My toddler, 2.3 and was very snotty today. I just checked on him and he was hot, so took his temp at 38.6. He is still asleep. Should I wake him up to give him calpol?

waitingforbedtime Mon 09-Nov-09 21:23:13

Well...........I have in the past given 2.5 ml of nurofen VERRRRRRRY slowly in a syringe whilst ds slept on the advise of a NHS nurse but I felt a bit uncomfortable about it so not sure its right thing to do.

I take it youve tried all the non medicinal ways to get temp down first?

Clare123 Mon 09-Nov-09 21:26:21

Yes, turned off central heating, took duvet off and opened his bedroom door.
Might try to take pj off??

waitingforbedtime Mon 09-Nov-09 21:27:23

Has he got a vest on? If so yes Id take PJs off. You dont want him getting TOO cold either.

Oh and put socks on him - sounds counter-intuitive but it helps them regulate their temperature.

FourArms Mon 09-Nov-09 21:27:37

I find I can sit DS1 up, give him some calpol, and he goes straight back to sleep. Could you try this?

IwishIwasmoreorganised Mon 09-Nov-09 21:28:22

I'd leave it at that as long as it doesn't go up any higher.

A temperature is the bodies way of fighting off the infection so if he can sleep with the temp then he'll be getting better ifkwim.

Clare123 Mon 09-Nov-09 21:41:42

It has gone down a little. 37.9. Going to wait until I go to bed and see how he is.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now