Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

how to remove grit from hand from unwilling 2 year old

(11 Posts)
bumbly Mon 09-Nov-09 15:37:11

2 year old fell and oddly got grit underskin

had to remove so left a while and gave hot bath i hope would go

nothing so eventually when 2 year old simply would not let us see hand and screamed house down

daddy had to restrain and i mean restarin..real horrible thing to do but in a miinute grit was out and wound seems better

did we do the right thing to get little one scremaing so badly it was hair raising?

bumbly Mon 09-Nov-09 15:50:25

what have you done in similar circumstances for a minor but then turning into a nightmare occassion/wound

BonjourIvresse Mon 09-Nov-09 16:04:41

wait until they are asleep then take a look at the hand then. Mydd has to have cream on her nose when she has a sore nose which she hates, but she doesn't even stir when i put it on in her sleep.

madwomanintheattic Mon 09-Nov-09 16:12:54

we have the same drama here with eye drops - either for infection or for eye tests at hospital (dd2 has alternating converging squint with a few oddities thrown in for good measure)
she's six now (has had the squint from about 4 months) and has just got to the point where we don't have to physically hold her down and squeeze them in whilst she is screaming blue murder.
when she had a ga two years ago at 4, it took 4 women and the 6 foot male technician to hold her down long enough to get the mask on. she was still screaming when she was 'out'.
she also has a phobia of hospital beds, so when she came round from the ga, spent the next 2 hours screaming and trying to crawl out of the bed, and drag the canula out of her foot. in the end they just discharged us, it was much quieter for everyone else. they didn't get a chance to do any obs, they just figured that a child making such an amoutn of noise must be fine.

bumbly Mon 09-Nov-09 19:50:09

thanks for that - i enter room and lo is asleep he wakes up!

LIGHT SLEEPER to say the least!

jkklpu Mon 09-Nov-09 19:55:11

Yes, you were right. When my Mum was about 10, she fell off her bike on a newly-tarred road and scraped her elbow badly, getting sticky tar in the wound. She was staying with her aunt who didn't have the heart to take a scrubbing brush to her arm to get it all out and, >50 years later, my Mum still has a tarry scar in her elbow.

bumbly Mon 09-Nov-09 19:55:56

how odd my mum has exact same thing happen to her

jkklpu Mon 09-Nov-09 20:03:03

bumbly - v weird - long before health & safety obsession with fencing off all roadworks for weeks after they're done, I guess wink

wonderingwondering Mon 09-Nov-09 20:03:22

If there's anything stuck under the skin, magnesium sulphate paste will draw it out - it is about a pound from the chemist, smear it on and put a plaster over the top. It will usually get things out, give it half an hour or so, longer if it is deeper in the skin. Then you can put the antiseptic cream on.

You do need to get it out though, the shouting is not nice but a lot better than an infected wound.

bumbly Tue 10-Nov-09 15:31:24

magnesium sulfate completely new to me and really thanks for that

will buy at chemist

can you apply to a scab/bleeding wound?

wonderingwondering Tue 10-Nov-09 18:35:49

Mag Sulf is best for 'clean' things like splinters. Prob good idea to ask the chemist, I can't see it would hurt an open wound but prob worth checking. Don't think it would work on a scab as it would just reopen the wound?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now