Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Exercise induced cough

(4 Posts)
Kookie1 Fri 06-Nov-09 21:05:08

My dd2 (3 yrs old) has had a problem with persistent coughs since she was about 18 months. Finally, she saw a pediatrician who suggested mild asthma and prescribed a preventer (orange) inhaler. We tried it out and she seemed better, so after two weeks we stopped. Sure enough, within a week she was coughing again. We started it again, and now a week in, she coughs much less if she is playing quietly or indeed sleeping. But, as soon as she engages in the slightest active play she breaks out into a choking cough, often resulting in her being sick. It is heart breaking to see, as she has got to a point where she cannot play with her friends or her sister. As soon as any running or jumping is involved she is immediately left behind in a coughing fit which is clearly distressing her (and me). I really don't know what to do. Does anyone have any experience of this? Any information would be welcome.

kcartyparty Fri 06-Nov-09 21:56:57

My Ds2 has the same irratating dry cough, related with asthmatics. He has a blue inhaler. He hardly ever uses it.

He too gets out of breath when running, but not as bad as your Dd does.

The vomitting is caused by wrenching too hard when coughing. Keep water at hand, room temp, when she starts coughing, give her a drink.

Also keep a keen eye out for chest infections.

If your not happy, or you think the inhaler is not strong enough .. go back to your doc.

Winter's coming keep her chest wrapped up warm

Singed Fri 06-Nov-09 22:03:00

Persevere with the inhaler as it takes a good 2-3 weeks to reduce the inflammation in the airways that is making her cough. If you continue giving the orange inhaler twice a day as prescribed then I would expect her cough to ease significantly, even when exercising.

If after 3-4 weeks of being on the inhaler you find her cough is no better when she is active go back to the GP, as she may need an increased dose of the orange inhaler, and may need a blue (salbutamol) inhaler to take before any physical activity as well.

alypaly Sun 08-Nov-09 17:16:49

you can get exertion or exercise related asthma...get them checked by asthma nurse

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now