Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

WANTED: People with experience of girls aged 10-14!!

(9 Posts)
GertieGumboyle Thu 05-Nov-09 21:44:41

DD has come home from school with a festively decorated shoe-box in which we are to put some Christmas presents for Operation Christmas Child. We are very happy to do so -but I'm not sure what girls of that age like. At that age, I only liked Duran Duran and reading, so I'm not much help to myself.

As they're going abroad, there are 'allowed' and 'not allowed' categories.

Allowed: toys, educational supplies, hygiene items, sweets, girly accessories.

Not allowed: Food (except sweets), medicines, war-related things, clothing, fragile items, liquids, 'dangerous items', novels, politically-related material, and hand-knitted toys without a CE mark.

I'm sure I can work out some ideas for myself - but if any of you have girls of this age, I'd really like to know what they would like to receive if they were getting a shoe-box!

Kbear Thu 05-Nov-09 21:53:57

pens, pink notebooks, hair clips, deodorant, lip gloss (clear), or a pink shiny chapstick thing, sketch pad and pencils, other stationery bits, small photo frame or one of those photo clip things, squidgy stress ball thing, bath crystals (in place of bubble bath in liquid form), mirror compact, hat and scarf and gloves, funky socks, slipper socks, necklace, small teddy like those tatty bear things...

Kbear Thu 05-Nov-09 21:56:23

travel games like solitaire or travel scrabble, pack of cards, colouring pencils or something like Crayola twistables, or metallic pencil set (WH Smith), a notelet set or writing set, pack of pretty tissues...

GertieGumboyle Thu 05-Nov-09 22:02:51

Kbear: smile smile.

Thank you!

kreecherlivesupstairs Fri 06-Nov-09 11:56:07

My dd's school is also doing this again. We were told no mirror and no sweets. Same organisation though. I understand her lot are going to either Romania or Belarus.

bumptwitknocker Fri 06-Nov-09 18:36:20

Put in as much as you can, but start with the really useful things like scarf/hat/gloves toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, pencils, pens etc. Then go for toys, sweets, and things to play with but are not essentials. Girls 10-14 would probably do best with added keyrings, hair bobbles/brush, jewellery, that sort of thing. Sure they'll be very grateful.

PixieOnaLeaf Fri 06-Nov-09 19:04:50

Message withdrawn

RatherBeOnThePiste Sat 07-Nov-09 13:14:38

you have helped me too - we are doing this very thing

TheCallerWithheldTheirNumber Sat 07-Nov-09 18:36:41

Thank you, all! (I am GertieGumboyle, btw).
Pixie - that's a lovely and very thoughtful idea. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now