Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Urine Test Results don't make sense (to me anyway!)

(9 Posts)
mumofom Wed 04-Nov-09 15:10:42

My dd had urine dipped at GP suregery on Mon and I atlhough they didn't actually say what it was but anti-biotics would be needed for urine infection (so we went home thinking that she had UTI), and then sent Urine sample off to lab. dd had been vomiting and v high temp 39.2 and this is why test carried out. I have just phoned GP for lab results and told that no urine infection found. Doesn't make sense - now i'm totally frantic that something more sinister is lurking. Hope this makes sense. GP receptionist has booked me in for telephone appt with doc tomorrow morning. I think i'll be driven crazy before then. Please someone any ideas.

reikizen Wed 04-Nov-09 15:22:23

Is it possible that she just has a virus? Am I missing something obvious, does she have underlying health problems that are worrying you? How old is she? My dd1 always feels nauseous with a high temp (39.2 isn't that high btw and the mantra is 'treat the child not the temperature') Paracetamol, plenty of fluids the usual. Of course, if she is a tiny baby the situation is different but I am assuming she is a toddler/pre-school?

mumofom Wed 04-Nov-09 15:28:18

What's worrying me is that she had blood in her stools 2 weeks ago, now this - just wondering if something more going on if the dip showed up something (given ab's) but lab result showed no uti - worried that there is something else going on that's all. She is 4.

belgo Wed 04-Nov-09 15:31:54

The lab test is more accurate then the dip test.

Try not to worry, your dd is on antibiotics, hopefully they should clear up any bacterial infection where ever the source. It's good you've got the GP appointment tomorrow so she will be examined again.

And like reikizen says, it could just be a nasty virus.

belgo Wed 04-Nov-09 15:32:46

Regarding the blood in her stools; how is her health in general? Make sure you discuss this with the GP tomorrow.

MrsBadger Wed 04-Nov-09 15:33:23

The dip test probably showed high nitrites, which is a common marker for a UTI, hence the antibs, but if the lab grew no bacteria from the sample then it's unlikely that a UTI was really the cause.

Don;t wory too hard though, it's unlikely to be anything serious. How old is she?

mumofom Wed 04-Nov-09 17:56:23

Thanks all for replies. belgo thanks for re-assurance - despite her blood in stools she is otherwise well - we are awaiting out-patients appt for that. mrsbadger she is 4, thanks for explanation about nitrates. Sorry if i sound really stupid but if the nitrates don't indicate UTI what else can this be a sign of, any ideas?

belgo Wed 04-Nov-09 18:24:44

Sometimes the urine sample is not totally 'sterile', and this can effect the result.

Hope all goes well tomorrow.

mumofom Wed 04-Nov-09 18:44:17

Thanks Belgo

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now