Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DS with high platelet count -- please stop me googling!

(7 Posts)
ilovemydogandmrobama Wed 04-Nov-09 14:26:28

Just got a call from DS' consultant at Children's Hospital who called about his blood tests results; high platelet count and wants it repeated.

Am trying not to google it....

Maybe just a virus << hopeful>>

boolifooli Wed 04-Nov-09 14:51:56

Last year my son had a rare neurological condition that he is now recovering from and I will tell you now I have taken possibly a decade off my life due to the obsessive Googling I did, I also believe it is partly responsible for me having to take anti-depressants for 8 months. Dr Google is vicious and he will not help, you will only concentrate on the worst possibilities ignoring all the more likely reasons. Googling is only useful if you have a defnite diagnosis from a professional.

dinamum Wed 04-Nov-09 15:35:26

Right I googled for you so you don't have to ok!

Yep a virus, infection, some medicines will all cause a high platelet count according to google. Apparently a virus is very likely to cause a high platelet count in children.

Try try not to worry as if the consultant was really concerned himself he would have taken immediate action rather than just retesting. I know easier said than done! Keep away from google or else you son and the whole family will have some rare tropical disease when you haven't even left the country.
Good luck

ilovemydogandmrobama Wed 04-Nov-09 20:18:41

Thanks -- so far still haven't googled. smile

Hopefully just a virus that showed up on the blood test.

<<hopeful>>

tjtheminx Thu 05-Nov-09 02:49:34

I'm a doctor (not a paediatrician mind..) and my DS recently had a blood test and his platelet count came back high also.
I asked a haematologist I work with and apparently it's perfectly normal for toddlers to have platelet counts up to about 600.
Particularly as they often have minor viruses etc that go unnoticed - just their immune systems are active all the time.

Once the rest of his blood test OK should be fine.
HTH

sarah293 Thu 05-Nov-09 07:29:27

Message withdrawn

tjtheminx Thu 05-Nov-09 16:06:21

Riven,
forgot to mention platelet count can go down as well as up --- 100 (in isolation) isn't a cause for alarm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now