Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Prolonged upset tummy in 4yr old - any idea's what will help?

(7 Posts)
roundabout1 Wed 04-Nov-09 13:32:23

My dd had a tummy bug 2 weeks ago, nothing major but her tummy was upset. Since then it hasn't gone back to normal, she often complains of tummy ache, poos 4/5 times a day, quite loose most of the time & is very windy. Been to gp's & he said it may take a while to revert back to normal. Wondering if probiotic yoghurts might help revert to normality. She is getting quite distressed by it so would like to try something.

corblimeymadam Wed 04-Nov-09 13:43:41

Message withdrawn

roundabout1 Thu 05-Nov-09 09:31:06

Thanks bb, gp did mention if it wasn't sorted in a few weeks to arrange a sample but that would be over a month by then. Will feed her with yoghurt & see if that helps any.

CantSleepWontSleep Thu 05-Nov-09 09:38:19

It's quite common for a temporary lactose intolerance to occur after a tummy upset in children. Keep her off dairy for a couple of weeks, and if it improves then gradually reintroduce after.

roundabout1 Thu 05-Nov-09 14:49:30

Thanks can't sleep - I wondered if that is what had happened, asked gp if I should restrict dairy & he said it wouldn't make any difference - grrrr!

BrigitBigKnickers Thu 05-Nov-09 15:39:15

Sorry but dairy is simply the worse thing you can give to a child who has had a prolonged tummy upset.

My DD had a similar thing last year. She had 2 weeks of vomiting on and off and tummy pains. We went to two doctors and the second one said that sometimes the natural flora and fauna of the gut can render you temporarily lactose intollerant and the best way to get back to normal is to go lactose free for a week.

Worked a treat and she was back to normal within two days.

roundabout1 Fri 06-Nov-09 10:39:15

Thanks Bridgit - dd is now going dairy free, suppose I should know by now to trust my instinct!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now