Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DD is sick, and I don't know what to do....

(14 Posts)
MrsMong Mon 02-Nov-09 12:33:05

DD is 9 months and thankfully hasn't been sick before - she's sick today, and I've no idead what to do! Any advice?

She threw up her entire milk feed about 20mins after she had it this morning, and then had a small vomit 30mins later (a bit yellowy).

She refused breakfast, which was fine with me and reluctantly drank a small amount of water, which was thrown back up at 11.30. When I was getting the floor cleaned up I popped her into her highchair and she promptly started eating a breadstick. As it was lunchtime I gave her a small piece of chicken which she ate, but then didn't want to eat any more.

So, 10 minutes later and all that has been thrown up too!

So, apart from trying to keep her hydrated (difficult as she doesn't want to drink), what else do I need to do?

Should I give her calpol? She doesn't have a temp.
Should I giver her the usual 3pm milk? I suspect she will take it (like this morning, and like lunch0, but presumably will throw it back up?
What about bedtime - I think I;ll probably give her last feed a bit early so if she does throw it up, she can do that before she gets in her cot for the night!

When do I need to be worried about dehydration? When I get water into her she just throws it back up!

Apart from being sick, a little clingy / lethargic and sleeping more often than normal she seems fine.

Thanks

Marne Mon 02-Nov-09 12:40:09

Just keep trying to get fluids into her (water or breast milk), lay off the food unless she is hungry. Let her sleep (dd2 tends to sleep these things off).

Just small sips of water (little and often).

ShinyAndNew Mon 02-Nov-09 12:41:16

Yes you need to be worried about dehydration but you don't need to rush her to A and E just yet.

Keep an eye on how often she wetting her nappy. If she doesn't go for more than a few hours then ring doctors.

Calpol won't help if there is no temp. Try giving water/juice <or ice cubes to suck> little but often.

If it will make you feel better ring NHS Direct and they will be able to advise you.

sunburntats Mon 02-Nov-09 12:46:06

check nappies, they should be wet.

Offer ice pops made out of juice.or ice cubes.

water little and often,
probably be ok tommorow, mine usually makes up for all lack of food/drink the following days.

I dont tend to worry too much on day one or two.

sunburntats Mon 02-Nov-09 12:46:54

re the milk, i used to give 1/4 milk, make the other 3/4 up with water for now.

MrsMong Mon 02-Nov-09 13:07:54

Nappies aren't wet! I've just changed the one she's had on since 7am (I'm not normally this neglectful of nappies, but knew it was much drier than normal).

Felt totally dry, but there was a smell of pee so there must have been a tiny pee.

Struggling to get water into her as she just throws it back up. Aiming for small sips every 10-15m to try and strike a balance between enough to keep her hydrated and not so much she is sick. Do you think I need GP for this little urine?

She's BF - do you think I should go ahead with usual 3pm feed even though she's likely to chuck it back?

Thanks again everyone

DaftApeth Mon 02-Nov-09 13:23:31

I would have thought that even if it seems as though she brings it all back up, some of it will stay down. Particulalry if she is being sick a while after feeding.

Here are some signs of dehydration

MrsMong Mon 02-Nov-09 13:27:07

Spoken to HV who said to go ahead with 3pm BF and if she doesn't keep it down then to call and get app with duty Dr. Poor baby!

Poledra Mon 02-Nov-09 13:29:50

MrsMong, DD2 had a similar problem when she was about 10 months old, and the A&E nurses got me to syringe 5ml of water every 10 minutes into her. Using a syringe made it was a slow trickle, rather than her gulping it down, and small amounts often seemed to stay down better.

Hope she feels better soon.

Snowtiger Mon 02-Nov-09 13:31:21

Poor you MrsMong, my DS was sick on Saturday and it's horrible, he's 2 so I can explain a bit to him but it was always really worrying when he did it as a baby because you can't discuss it with them.

I was always brought up to have / give nothing but water until the bug was gone but NHS direct now advise that you should feed as normal - as DaftApeth says, some of it will stay down even if your DS does throw some of it back. Keep trying her with little sips of water or small BFs and let her sleep as much as she wants, would be my advice. Hope she gets better soon.

MrsMong Mon 02-Nov-09 13:48:14

Thanks all! She's back in her cot having only been up 45 mins. She's the queen of 30min sleeps grin and even being sick doesn't seem to make her sleep longer!

Poledra - good advice on the syringe, will see if i can replicate with teaspoonfuls.

DaftApeth / Snowtiger - HV advice was to stop food but keep the usual BFs. Yesterday I dropped to 2 BF from 3 and introduced an afternoon snack instead but will go back to 3 today in the hope some stays down. Fingers crossed for 3pm feed..... hmm

BertieBotts Mon 02-Nov-09 16:52:57

Yes breastfeed as often as she asks for it - bear in mind she might be hungry if you have dropped solids. You can always drop feeds again when she is well (do it slowly though, or express, engorgement is painful!) - she will be getting loads of antibodies from it as well as nutrients and hydration.

When DS is ill I try and keep him quiet even if it does mean watching a lot more telly than I usually would like him to. We snuggle up on the sofa together and watch films

MrsMong Tue 03-Nov-09 09:51:34

Thanks everyone. Our small 3pm feed and normal bedtime feed both stayed down, so was feeling positive last night.

Heard coughing at 1am, but when checked all was ok. Woke at usual 6.30am to find cot covered in yellow bile-y sick. Nice.

7am feed stayed down, and a breakfast of one breadstick is still in her tummy grin Appetite seems very small, but not worried about that - I'm sure it'll pick up. I'm just happy that today's milk / food have stayed down!

So, we're supposed to be going to meet up with our NCT class round tomorrow morning. Should I stay away in case she's likely to pass something on?

DaftApeth Tue 03-Nov-09 10:21:26

If she is not sick at all today and seems fine in herself again today, I would say it is fine.

However, if she is still not quite herself or at all sick again today, I would stay away.

Trouble is at this age, lots of toys are put in their mouths and this can transfer germs very easily.

Hope she has a good daysmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now