Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

ds has scratched a wart right OFF his arm - what now?

(11 Posts)
gigglewitch Sun 01-Nov-09 23:40:24

well after dealing with the deluge of blood it poured out, I've bandaged it til morning. Is this a dangerous thing to happen? I have only ever seen a wart injured once before, and it wasn't me who had to sort that particular disaster... any advice or suggestions most welcome

FluffysBeenBittenByAVampire Sun 01-Nov-09 23:42:52

It should be OK, is it deep?

gigglewitch Sun 01-Nov-09 23:47:07

tee hee, you stalkin me woman? grin
Didn't think to hijack somewhere else, should've known you would have the answer blush

it seems the whole skin thickness has gone, and it's a hole because now the warty thing has gone there's no bit of skin to put back like there would be with a normal cut iyswim. So a garden-pea sized hole in his forearm. As if I need to clarify, it's quite predictably ds2 <sigh> so on a just-6yo this is not a good look

FluffysBeenBittenByAVampire Sun 01-Nov-09 23:48:26

Do you have some steri strips??

I trained as a paeds nurse woman!

gigglewitch Sun 01-Nov-09 23:53:24

yes I know you have - why i wentblush

Yes I've got steri-strips - which I didn't think of using <yet more blushes> but tbh we were too busy 'elevating' - with ds1 holding the injured arm up with his vice-grip just to make sure lil bro didn't move grin I swear that's why the bleeding slowed down, ds1 surely cut his circulation off... there was too much blood around to steri-strip then, but will defo do it in the morning.

FluffysBeenBittenByAVampire Sun 01-Nov-09 23:59:26

Is it still bleeding do you know?

Steristrips are good, you just pull the two sides together with them, make sure the skin doesn't oerlap though, just as close as you can get it. Keep it clean. Maybe get the practice nurse to have a look at it. smile

gigglewitch Mon 02-Nov-09 00:04:21

will that work even though there's an actual hole / gap?

gigglewitch Mon 02-Nov-09 00:05:07

can't tell - but i don't think it can be bleeding because the bandage thingy is pretty much as it was, and he's asleep again.

FluffysBeenBittenByAVampire Mon 02-Nov-09 00:09:38

smile Have a peak at it tomorrow, it may start bleeding again when you take the bandage off, just stick a steri strip on it and cover it up, keep it dry and clean, change daily. Off to the GP if it goes red and nasty though.

gigglewitch Mon 02-Nov-09 00:10:37

righto. Cheers M'dear smile you're a star!

FluffysBeenBittenByAVampire Mon 02-Nov-09 00:11:16

skin stretches, it should be ok. If in doubt though, get the qualified nurse at the GP to have a look wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now