Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Vomiting with fever

(16 Posts)
mumofom Sun 01-Nov-09 18:38:29

4 yr old dd been vomiting with temp of 94.5. I have given her very small sips of water. Would it be unadvisable to give calpol to bring temp down - would that make her sick again, not sure what to do. This has only started. Any suggestions.

belgo Sun 01-Nov-09 18:45:14

I don't understand her temperature - is that high? I only know °C.

If she does have a high temperature, I would give her the calpol. If she brings it up, you need to keep a very close eye on her for dehydration.

Signs of dehydration: dry lips, listless ness, not weeing.

Carry on giving her sips of water and sips of flat coke or flat lemonade, or rehydration fluids if you have them.

If she shows signs of dehydration or cannot keep any fluids down, contact a doctor.

mumofom Sun 01-Nov-09 18:53:18

thanks Belgo - just realised i,ve got temp wrong (rather 94.5 is not fever) I understand Celsius better, my thermometer has defaulted back to F - just panicked. dd has fallen asleeep, shall keep close eye on her. Thanks again

mumofom Sun 01-Nov-09 19:00:05

dd temp is actually 39.2 - just taken it although she is asleep.

belgo Sun 01-Nov-09 19:09:23

I would give the calpol when she wakes up, and keep a close eye on her.

nappyzonecantrunfortoffee Sun 01-Nov-09 19:10:25

Thats high - will she suck it down while asleep?

mumofom Sun 01-Nov-09 19:17:00

hi belgo and nappysone yes dh just woke her to give her calpol - she has taken it and i1ve phoned NHS24 (don't know if i'm being a bit hysterical or not, it's just that she is very very seldom ever sick that worries me.

nappyzonecantrunfortoffee Sun 01-Nov-09 19:23:18

good i hope you get some good advice and hope she perks up. If my dc have a high temp i give ibuprofen as well - though your not supposed to if asthmatic and obv i dont know your child so best checking that out with the nhs crew. Hope she perks up soon smile

mumofom Sun 01-Nov-09 19:27:12

thanks nappyzone - it was actually ibuprofen we gave her - suppose i have just got into the habit of using calpol as a generic term for meds. thanks again still waiting NHS24 to call. bye for now

nappyzonecantrunfortoffee Sun 01-Nov-09 19:29:31

fabbo - you can give them together is really what im getting at so if ibu doesnt bring down you can give paracetemol too. Good luck

mylovelymonster Sun 01-Nov-09 20:01:38

You shouldn't give ibru on an empty stomach and I deffo wouldn't give in case of vomiting. Is the high temp constant or just coincides with the vomiting episodes? Has she been poorly all day or has this come on suddenly? Could be a self-limiting upset tummy which subsides once she has got everything out of her tummy? Giving her water straight after she's thrown up can set her off again - best give her small sips about half an hour after she's thrown up, once her tummy muscles have calmed down a bit.
Ah - I see you're waiting for advice from NHS - great. Hope she's much better soon - within 24hrs hopefully!

mumofom Sun 01-Nov-09 21:16:01

Thanks for your advice mylovelymonster. Just back from the local out-patients as NHS24 doc advised. She has been checked out and they say it's viral so we have to keep up with the calpol (temp still high about 38.9 and fluids so hopefully she gets better soon. Thanks all for advice.

belgo Mon 02-Nov-09 07:39:32

Agree with mylovelymonster - ibuprofen should not be given on an empty stomach - it's a very different drug to calpol which is paracetamol, and paracetamol is safe on an empty stomach.

I would not have advised giving calpol if I had known you meant ibuprofen.

mumofom Mon 02-Nov-09 09:00:23

Thanks belgo, i have just been giving her paracetamol only now. She's still high temp at 39.5 (just given her a dose of Calpol though)

Hollyoaks Mon 02-Nov-09 09:09:44

Hi mumofom if she hasn't got diarrhoea as well as the vomiting and fever it may be worth checking for a uti. Especially if it continues for a few days.

mumofom Mon 02-Nov-09 09:18:43

Hollyoaks, you could be right as the doc at out-of-hours said same last night. said that we should hand urine sample in at GP if symptoms continue. Thanks for advice Hollyoaks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now