Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

SAMBUCOL - has anyone used it and can you recommend?

(8 Posts)
twolittlekings Sun 01-Nov-09 13:37:42

Hi, have looked in internet and looks good. Would like to know if anyone on here has used it and do you think it is worth using. I have an asthmatic 4yo and with all this swine flu around I am in 2 minds about the vaccine.

Also - whatabout elderberry cordial? would this be OK instead as DH is cseptical and thinks I am being quackish.

Thanks

SqueezyCheesyPumpkin Sun 01-Nov-09 17:47:29

Bump.

saltyseadog Sun 01-Nov-09 17:51:24

We use it for dd (she has CP so has been hospitalised in the past with chest infections) - I really am a firm believer. I doubt elderberry cordial (I think you might be thinking of elderflower cordial) would do the job - the Sambucol syrup is largely elderberry.

happylina Sun 01-Nov-09 18:00:43

Sambucol is really good but very expensive. I've made elderberry syrup which I've frozen in ice cube trays and it's really nice if you have a sore throat. I've also made elderberry vodka this year - probably not too good for children!

twolittlekings Sun 01-Nov-09 20:40:54

Saltyseadog - how old is DD? My DS is 4 - would that be Ok for him? Where can you buy it?

Happylina - where did you get the elderberries from? I am not sure I'd want to pick berries I was uncertain about as my botany is crap! Can you buy them in shops as I've never seen them before.

saltyseadog Sun 01-Nov-09 20:44:24

You can get it in Boots. There's a Childrens' formula which should be OK for your DS (DD has been having it for past two winters and she is now 5). The instructions should say whether it's suitable.

happylina Mon 02-Nov-09 12:18:14

I think you can buy dried elderberries in health food shops - I've got an elder tree in the garden so I used the berries.

twolittlekings Mon 02-Nov-09 19:27:13

Have bought some Sambucol for kids - you are right happylina - it's expensive but I'm going to try it for DS1 as it does seems like a good thing to give.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now