Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

2 yo with Lyme disease

(10 Posts)
Comma2 Sat 31-Oct-09 17:15:41

My dd might have Lym disease. We are waiting for the blood work, and have started her on antibiotics. She has the rash, but not really much besides yet I think.
I know this is not a good diagnosis--anybody out there who has gone through something similar??

Colonelcupcake Sun 01-Nov-09 11:31:49

My ds2 got lyme disease, it was scary but at least it was fairly mild for him, he too had the rash and that was about it but he was poorly for a while (3 weeks or so) kind of listless and more grumpy than usual. The rash was also quite warm to the touch.

Hope your DD is better soon

Comma2 Sun 01-Nov-09 17:48:40

Thanks, Colonelcupcake!
DD also has only the rash and a bit trouble sleeping, given to grumpiness....I very much hope we caught it early enough, have started her on Antibiotics yesterday. The rash is getting more pronounced and more of the bulls eyes, too, though. sad
I'm also a little apprehensive of side effects of the Amoxilin as she has to take it for 4 weeks...

duffpancake Tue 03-Nov-09 00:16:22

Just found this thread as dd (nearly 3) has had a rash for a week now that just today turned into a bullseye. I've got a GP appt for Wed. but now I'm thinking I should just show up there tomorrow and try to get seen earlier. Do you know if they will want the tick? She was bitten twice this summer and I've saved one of them.

Comma2 Tue 03-Nov-09 01:53:37

Def see the Gp tomorrow. Tell them about Lyme, it's sometimes hard to diagnose. Take the tick, but it may not have been the one; my dd is milk white and blonde, can't believe I missed a tick on her but they can be tiny. The sooner you treat, the better. Good luck!

duffpancake Wed 04-Nov-09 20:07:34

Well I felt like an utter plonker when I went to the GP as the rash had completely disappeared by the time I got there. He said it wouldn't have faded so quickly if it was Lyme disease. I'm really not mad though! My sil (who is a GP) saw it and said it looked an awful lot like the Lyme rash and that I ought to get it checked out.

Sorry to hijack your thread; how is your dd getting on?

Comma2 Wed 04-Nov-09 20:36:36

Can't your Gp do a blood test anyway?? He shouldn't ignore that she had a bulls eye rash. I wouldn't give in, it's too important to catch it early. Better come over as a little hysterical than risk having dc have arthritis or worse. Can't sil help out?

Dd is fine thank god, for two days after I started her on AB the rash got really bad and scary (so yes, it got progressively worse with her) but the day after that faded and now its gone. The doctor said she tested positive but that if she was fine now she was fine for good and there wouldn't be an aftermath as in recurring episodes. I am very relieved....

duffpancake Wed 04-Nov-09 20:47:47

Glad to hear your dd's on the mend; I'm going to give sil a call and see what she thinks; I think she has actually seen cases of it.

Comma2 Thu 05-Nov-09 16:12:07

What did sil say?

Blood results are in and positive. The rash looked like this

Comma2 Thu 05-Nov-09 16:14:52

Sorry, repeated myself there. Pregnancy brain.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now