Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Chicken pox dilemma

(7 Posts)
twolittlekings Thu 29-Oct-09 12:50:15

Not sure what to do. Ds1 was playing with a friend who came over last Weds 21 Oct. Got a message to say on Sat 24 she had come down with Chicken Pox that morning. DS1 due to go back to school on Monday - which will be 12 days after the contact with this little girl.

Providing DS1 is well do I send him to school or do I keep him off since the incubation period is approx 12 -21 days? DH says I am being ridiculous and should send him to school until he shows otherwise but a) I am convinced he will get CP and is incubating it a the moment so not really vert fair to others in the class and b) don't want him to get something awful like Swine Flu while he is incubating CP as well when he goes back.
c) I have a 3 month DS2 who I really don't want to get CP - not yet anyway so a bit of distance would be good.

I am being over cautious? Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks

Seona1973 Thu 29-Oct-09 12:59:50

It is not guaranteed that your lo will get chicken pox so I would send your lo to school until he shows symptoms. The contagious period starts 1-2 days before the spots come out so chances are your lo's friend wasnt contagious on Wednesday anyway.

TubOfLardWithInferiorRange Fri 30-Oct-09 16:45:25

I would send him to school but keep him out of church, grocers, etc.

EldonAve Fri 30-Oct-09 16:53:59

I would send him to school until he shows symptoms

twolittlekings Sat 31-Oct-09 08:34:39

OK - thanks for advice - after 2 weeks of half term I hate to admit it but I am DESPERATE to get him back to school grin. So far so good - only another 10 days to go!

rach345 Mon 02-Nov-09 12:12:56

my son has chicken pox. he had fever on the 18th of oct for pretty much the whole week couldnt figure out what was wrong, then oct 30 which was 12 days later he has spots. i think he might of had spots before that but didnt think of it as being chicken pox, well now he is covered, i saw some spots then within an hr he was covered..poor dude. he has them everywhere.
he was off school the week before half term and now they started back today and he cant go.

twolittlekings Mon 02-Nov-09 16:33:46

Oh no - hope he is feeling better. I have heard from friends that the spots literally appear before your eyes.

Still no sign of Cp but he vomited last night and has been in bed all day with temp and lethargy. There is so much going round at the moment I am keeping an open mind!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now