Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Calpol Saline Nasal Spray - anyone recommend it?

(6 Posts)
Trojan1970 Wed 28-Oct-09 11:12:24

Hi - DD 8 months has horrid chest infection and just been prescribed antibiotics. She's struggling to feed due to blocked up nose so I thought I would try the Nasal Spray - can anyone let me know if they have used it and how effective it is please? Thanks muchly.

giveloveachance Wed 28-Oct-09 11:22:00

Had saline nasal spray prescribed by the doc - my lo was about 11months at the time - and sorry to say, i would never do it again, it made her vomit and vomit and vomit. The chemist did warn me when he gave it to me, but I thought it was just one of those general got to tell you everything type things.

Instead, used karvol on a hanky on her cot, elevated the mattress, and a steamer.

Now she is older I use vicks - brilliant.

giveloveachance Wed 28-Oct-09 11:23:10

oh, also, used eucalyptus vapour device from boots, you put little blocks in the device which warms it releasing the vapours.

alypaly Wed 28-Oct-09 11:32:27

dont bother paying for the brand,just buy saline nasal drops from the pharmacist and use them before feeds. they are only £1

sweetgrapes Wed 28-Oct-09 11:36:08

Have used saline nasal drops on both dc's.Never had a problem. Only a couple of drops or so in each side though - not more. The ones I used only had salt and water in them - no chemicals or medicine.
With vicks I find it leaves a dry cough behind so use it sparingly.

alypaly Wed 28-Oct-09 11:48:44

vicks is too strong for 8 months...think its not supposed to be used for under 2's

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now