Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

any ideas for 4 yr old dd

(5 Posts)
pinkkoala Tue 27-Oct-09 07:39:39

morning,

can anyone give me an explanation as to why my 4 yr old dd is like this.

she had a nasty d & v bug approx 3 weeks ago, couldn't keep water down, didn't eat, very high temp and then came the runs.

it cleared up after approx 3 days, but now since the weekend has said to me every morning from 6am that she needs a poo, i spend the first two hours of the morning in and out the bathroom where she doesn't do anything. for the rest of the day she is fine, eating, playing and everything that a 4 yr old does.

does this sound like the bug hasn't fully cleared the system, some sort of attention thing or what else could it be.

please come and give me your opinions.

MmeGoblindt Tue 27-Oct-09 07:43:26

It might be that she associated doing a poo with pain, and is kind of holding back.

When she does poo, is it normal, ie. no constipation?

pinkkoala Tue 27-Oct-09 08:10:37

she has normal poo, no constipation or diarrhea.

she has been ok after her bug up until the weekend.

she keeps saying its when she eats, and asking me if i need a poo everytime i eat, to which i reply no.

MmeGoblindt Tue 27-Oct-09 08:42:44

Sounds like she is scared to go to the loo in case it hurts again.

Not sure how you can reassure her, perhaps telling her that now she is well again that it wont hurt.

I would also tell her a bit about her digestive system. That when you eat healthy food and drink lots of water then you have to do a poo, often just once a day. That the food goes into her tummy for a while first so that her tummy can take all the goodness out.

alypaly Tue 27-Oct-09 14:33:29

have you just been on holiday abroad?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now