Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Scared about tommorow

(9 Posts)
sunmonkey Mon 26-Oct-09 21:30:39

I'm really not looking forward to taking my nearly 18m old DS to the hospital. We have to get a bus and tram there for an early start, leaving house at 8am as we must be there by 9.30am. He has to have various tests all day last one at 3.20pm and some how I have to get him to nap in between. My really lovely next door neighbor has offered to take me, but felt too bad to accept as its rush hour. Am gladly accepting her offer of a lift back though.
I've done this before, 6 months ago, so I know what to expect. He is at an age when I think he's going to make a lot more fuss though and last time was horrible to see him so upset.
Worst thing he has to have is a catheter insert in his willy to check for urine reflux. He's on trimethroprim for possible kidney infection. Has anyone else been through this, or can offer tips on how to be brave about these things/help DS overcome tears quickly?

DrCosyTiger Mon 26-Oct-09 22:03:38

Oh SunMonkey that sounds awful. I don't have any useful advice but didn't want your post to go unanswered. I had to take DD to hospital every week for 3 months when she had a dislocated hip. It was nowhere near as bad as your day but wasn't fun. She often had to miss a nap which was hard The way I got through it was just to keep telling myself that however bad the day was, it would pass and we would survive and I would make such a fuss of her the day after. This happened when she was between 3 to 6 months though so a bit different to your situation. Good luck. We will keep our fingers crossed for you.

sanfairyann Mon 26-Oct-09 22:12:46

try and turn it into a big fun trip - mine would love the journey there - bus/train etc - for a start. can you get a picnic bag together tonight with drinks/biscuits/snacks/magazine or book to keep him going? there will be hopefully lots of toys there to play with as well - more fun. again, mine sometimes have to be dragged out after their appointments.
some parts are going to be a bit grim - have they told you much about the catheter - can they use local anaesthetic? but a lot of the day can be fun for him if not for you.

sunmonkey Mon 26-Oct-09 22:35:15

DrcosyTiger - thank you for your reply. Must have been horrible taking such a young baby in and out of hospital so frequently, you're right, it will pass and it has to be done.

sanfairy I'm about to make sandwiches to take and have packed lots of snacks. Will put some books in too. Yes they do have toys there, so that will help to occupy. Thanks, will try to look on the positive side and hopefully it will help him too.
Just want to get the catheter part out of the way. I'm going to ask, but i don't think they'll give him and anesthetic. I live in Holland and they're a bit anti that kind of thing here, everything has to be done 'naturally' hmm

sanfairyann Mon 26-Oct-09 22:38:19

hope it goes ok - all be over by this time tomorrow! yes, I would be feeling like you do about the catheter as well - not nice sad but soon over and done with

DrCosyTiger Tue 27-Oct-09 18:12:17

Hi SunMonkey, just wondered how it went at the hospital? We had our fingers crossed for you.

sunmonkey Tue 27-Oct-09 20:10:43

Hi there DrCosyTiger, it was horrible I won't deny it! However its over and now I just have to wait for the results, fingers crossed!
I tried to explain very enthusiastically we were going to the hospital, yay! he even got a bit excited (obviously at the tone of my voice) and I felt bad...
The journey there was fine and we were on time, but I had to wait for about 40 min to get seen (normal, but when you have appointments all day its tiring) the first thing he had to have was an infusion (using big needle in hand) and that was the worst part of the day as they couldn't get what they wanted cos his hand was too fat! They had to bring another nurse in to help hold him down and it seemed like forever! After about 20 min of him screaming I started feeling less strong and tears started to flow. After this, they put catheter into his other hand and more screaming.
Then we were sent across the road to the other hospital, where he had to have a dmsa scan, however, we missed it and had to have it later as I went to the wrong floor, so back to the baby clinic again. Then it was backwards and forwards the whole day between the two, waiting at one point for an hour for a finger prick blood sample. Eventually though he didn't have to have a catheter in his willy, so that was a relief. Lastly he had to have an ultrasound which was also horrible as he was really tired at that point and didn't want to stay still!
Everyone was really nice though but as all hospitals they are very busy. It was great when he could play with the toys, but some of the waiting rooms didn't have any and when I asked why, they said 'people steal them'shock
I packed some books in a separate bag but unfortunately left them at home, but the snacks helped and i had a few little cars with me.
My neighbor collected us, and she met us in the foyer with her DD and a lovely eyore balloon which great as he was v pleased to see her dd too smile!
So, thanks for asking, its over and I know people go through alot worse. My friends ds had to have an operation on his heart last week- think I'd be very scared, so prob need to get a bit strongerwink

DrCosyTiger Tue 27-Oct-09 20:54:19

Really pleased you survived. That really does sound like a horrendous day. I remember well the frustration of hospital appointments always running at least 45 mins late. I know what you mean about others being worse off too - I met some very brave children with much worse problems than my DD when we were in our hospital phase - but that doesn't mean you have it easy either. Anyway hope things work out for you and you have a nice relaxing night.

sanfairyann Tue 27-Oct-09 23:10:47

well done for getting through the day - hope you get good results back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now