Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

What do I do?! Irrational fears in 8 yr old DS

(2 Posts)
Solo2 Mon 26-Oct-09 17:12:07

Can anybody help please? Over the last few days, my 8 yr old DS - who's always been a bit obsessional - has suddenly developed a very strong fear of tornadoes. He knows for sure that he's in no danger here in the UK and we've even spent time looking them up on the internet and clarifying why he's unlikely to see one, ever and if he does that it'd be v v mild. However, he's been so upset that he's taken to his bed and wants me with him all the time. I'm REALLY worried about him {sad}. It's also happening at the same time he has a bit of a tummy bug. So I guess his defences are down. But I can't get him out of this one and it's even reduced him to tears, which is unlike him.

I'm looking for advice about what to do to help him? Should I distract him or rationalise the fears? I've tried both but they keep coming back.

Also, can anyone else share their experiences of irrational fears in children - where the fear becomes obsessional and fixated - as opposed to an ordinary, passing anxiety - the like of which I might see in his twin brother. This is a different level of fear and it's now scaring me. Is this still just an ordinary developmental phase or something more sinister?

It doesn't help that I've been up all night with him sick. So I'm desperately tired myself now.

kreecherlivesupstairs Mon 26-Oct-09 19:39:06

Sorry, I've got no advice to help but diddn't want your post to go unanswered. Our dd is irrationally scared of tarantula's which we are extremely unlikely to encounter in the Swiss alps. For us, looking them up on the internet and rationalising why she wouldn't ever come across one seeemed to work.
Now we've just got to get the issue of giraffes sorted......................

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now