Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Fainting daughter - help please!!!!

(6 Posts)
RatherBeOnThePiste Mon 26-Oct-09 14:18:05

DD aged nearly 13 fainted for a few seconds today. She had been doing a reasonably active sports course and was just about to have lunch.

She is going through puberty - She has had one period but they are not regular at all. She is certainly hormonal and she had not eaten anything for several hours. Is this fairly common? It has really worried me. Does anyone else have experience of this? Advice oh wise mums. Please.

RatherBeOnThePiste Mon 26-Oct-09 14:18:50

Sorry. Ps should she see a doctor?

GhostlyPixieOnaPumpkin Mon 26-Oct-09 14:23:00

Was she very hungry? If so, it was probably because she had low blood sugar.
Faints are particularly common in teenage girls - I wouldn't worry too much if she's just done it once, and wouldn't make a GP appointment unless she is:
1. Fainting frequently
2. Fainting for long periods of time (minutes)
3. Twitching when she faints

Make sure she eats regularly, though.

Heated Mon 26-Oct-09 14:26:17

Yes, speaking personally and having taught in an all girl's secondary school, it's quite common. Worth making sure she isn't anaemic or has enough blood sugar. If you remain worried, maybe a blood test at the gps would reassure?

At the same age and having eaten no breakfast I fainted in Debenhams. My mother wasn't impressed, had to leave work, travel some distance and endure a cross-examination by well-meaning member of Debenhams personnel dept who clearly thought I had an eating disorder!

RatherBeOnThePiste Mon 26-Oct-09 15:08:45

Looking at it she probably hadn't eaten for nearly 5 hours. She is very fit and healthy which is why this has thrown me. She frightened herself too.

RatherBeOnThePiste Mon 26-Oct-09 15:28:03

Thank you for your advice though. Much appreciated. I hadn't really thought about anaemia more thelow blood sugar levels. When she exercises a lot ( she swims for a club plus runs a lot) she doesn't actually feel hungry more thirsty. But I do need to make sure she eats soon after. Maybe she could try something like lucozade sport. Thank you though

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now