Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

How long before I worry about ds1 (4) being unable to keep even water down?

(15 Posts)
tutu100 Sun 25-Oct-09 21:21:39

ds1 started being sick today at midday. He hadn't eaten much so very quickly had thrown up everything in his tummy. He is still being sick and is unable to keep water down.

How long should I leave it before calling the doctor? He's not sick very often, so not really sure what to do?

Drooper Sun 25-Oct-09 21:25:48

I would ring now, especially if he can't keep sips of water down. Is he weeing ok? any temp?

Ivykaty44 Sun 25-Oct-09 21:26:28

call now nhs direct and then see what they say

keep giving ds little sips of water - try a water bottle or straw to keep him hydrted

nancy75 Sun 25-Oct-09 21:30:05

if he cant keep down sips of water try an icelolly, not something you normally think of but it always works if dd has d&v bug, i think its because it goes in so slowly, and the sugar perks them up abit.

Poohbearsmom Sun 25-Oct-09 21:33:57

Hav u got re-hydration powder/solution? Both my boys hav had allergies as babies and hav puked for hours and hours not able to take anything and the childrens hosp here told me to giv them these... Id def ring ur doc cause he could get de-hydrated very quickly, could he suck on an ice-lolly if he Isnt up to drinks??

purpleturtle Sun 25-Oct-09 21:36:06

GP friend of mine advised 5ml of flat coke every 5 mins - literally a spoonful.

tutu100 Sun 25-Oct-09 21:40:07

Thank you all for your replies. He isn't weeing much, but has been this afternoon. I have been getting him to take little sips of water often, but then when he is sick he brings up far more than what he has drunk.

I don't have any ice lollies or ice as had a problem with the freezer this week,but I will send dp out for some tomorrow morning. Also don't have any rehydration sachets but again will be buying those in the morning.

His temp is 37.6 so slightly up, but not much. He has just fallen asleep after being sick again so will keep a very close eye on him and will ring NHS Direct tonight if he still can't keep sips of water down when he wakes up.

Thank you again for all your advice. Like I said in my op ds1 has hardly ever been sick. I think he's only had 4 maybe 5 tummy bugs which compared to my friends kids is nothing so I'm really not used to this.

tutu100 Sun 25-Oct-09 21:41:32

Have no coke either and no where to buy it from now (why did it have to happen on a Sunday night?). Midweek illness is much more convenient as I just send dp to the 24 hour chemist.

Drooper Sun 25-Oct-09 21:47:27

Hopefully he'll wake up feeing better.
I would ring your out of hours GP service if he's still unwell when he wakes(NHS Direct ok for lots of things, but may be quicker to go straight for GP).

Then as said by every-one else, small regular sips of water. Keep an eye on wees.

nancy75 Sun 25-Oct-09 21:47:56

if he wakes up again (and if you have any) it might be worth getting him to wear a nappy for bed (if he doesn't) i know whenever dd has had vomit bug it is usually followed by an explosive bottom!

Drooper Sun 25-Oct-09 21:53:16

Good advice from nancy75 grin

tutu100 Sun 25-Oct-09 21:53:50

I have been worried about an explosive bottom! Haven't got any nappies big enough for him though. He sleeping on the sofa on a throw which I can wash if there are any problems Hopefully he will feel better when he wakes.

Poohbearsmom Mon 26-Oct-09 09:03:48

Hi hope ur little man is feelin better this mornin...

tutu100 Mon 26-Oct-09 18:31:42

Just wanted to update after everyone was so helpful last night. Ds1 is much better this today. He hasn't been sick today, but has remained on the sofa which is very unlike him. Luckily he is no regularly sipping water, but hasn't wanted to eat anything all day although he has just asked for noodles so we'll see if they stay down.

Ds2 however just threw up all over dp (nice it wasn't me for a changegrin). He may have been gagging on some bread though so not sure if it was a one off or if he now has the lurgy as well.

Drooper Mon 26-Oct-09 19:38:10

Thanks for update. Good to know he's on the mend smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now