Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Skin peeling off fingers and toes

(10 Posts)
TuTu Sun 25-Oct-09 20:27:17

A few days ago DS showed me some skin peeling off at top of his fingertips on a couple of fingers. I didnt think anything off it, but today the skin is peeling off at the top of every finger, and now starting to come off his toes as well. Have you come across this, and how do you treat. Thanks

luciemule Sun 25-Oct-09 20:32:56

I've had eczema all my life and sometimes, at certain times of the year, usually autumn and spring, skin peeled off my hands and feet (almost like shedding skin). Once it had gone, there was fine, new skin underneath. Never told the Dr as just assume dit was part of eczema thing.
If your ds doesn't have eczema, I'd take him to docs to check it out. Just make sure they're well moisturised as it used to cause cracks to appear in the tops of my fingers that were extremely painful!

TuTu Sun 25-Oct-09 20:37:10

Thanks. He had eczema when he was baby up till he was 3 years old, but he has been virtually eczema free for the last 3 years, with just the tiniest occasional flare up. Never thought it could be a version of this coming back. Have started using Aveeno on him tonight though which is what i used to use for the eczema so hopefully it will help

luciemule Sun 25-Oct-09 20:41:13

Mine did used to feel quite sore so something like Aveeno should help. It could be the change in weather so maybe try to keep him at a regular temp indoors and outside without overheating or getting too cold.

BeehiveBaby Sun 25-Oct-09 20:41:14

I had this for most of primary school...does he get pins and needles too? I read an article which atributed it to a particular dietary deficiancy but I can't rememebr for the life of me what it was. I just used to tape them up if they were raw but nothing else. Sorry for useless post!

thelennox Sun 25-Oct-09 20:45:37

My dd had this at beginning of summer, and it turned out to be some kind of fungal infection, which gp prescribed cream for (can't remember name). Does he swim alot? Cause gp reckons that is probably where our dd picked it up, and then picked at her toes so it spread to her fingers as well. Has completely gone now, and we were those rubber sockie things when swimming now!!

TuTu Sun 25-Oct-09 21:11:30

he has started swimming lessons a few weeks ago, at a different pool, and he was there on friday which was when this seemed to have started, so that could be a possibility too. His fingers though are much worse than his toes

schroeder Tue 27-Oct-09 17:04:17

This could be a sign of a skin infection I would take him to the doctor or at least let the pharmacist have a look.

My dd had this and needed antibiotics and was kept home from school as I was told it could be infectious.

hope he is better soon.

alypaly Tue 27-Oct-09 18:58:02

has your DS recently had a sore throat or viral infection

Waswondering Wed 28-Oct-09 22:17:12

If your ds has had a sore throat or fever within the last week or so this can be a sign of scarlet fever - worth getting checked out!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now