Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

How long does Croup last?? Any experience out there??

(8 Posts)
gio71 Sun 25-Oct-09 18:30:03

DS started with cold and fever last Sunday. By Weds he was having breathing difficulties, took him to A&E, diagnosed with viral croup and prescribed 2 doses of cortisone, an inhaler and we had to go back for a check on Fri. They told me he was sounding a bit better and to keep him off school etc etc. He seems a bit better in himself, has more energy, has eaten a bit but his breathing still seems bad to me and he is full of catarrah (sp??) in his throat that he can't shift. He has stopped the whistling when he breathes. Any idea when I should start seeing the cough and breathing improving notably? Should I be taking him back to see someone or is it just a question of time now? He is just 3 years old. Thanks

SqueezyCheesyPumpkin Sun 25-Oct-09 21:50:49

Bump.

BaDaBing Sun 25-Oct-09 21:59:08

My DS has had croup 3 or 4 times now and by now I would expect improvement in breathing and coughing. Keep the air moist does seem to help and I often out big bowls of water in his room with couple of drops of peppermint and marjoram oil. Seems to do the trick.

I would say if he isn't on his way back to full health mid week to take him back tot he doc again. I have had it once where ds needed a further dose of steroid just to open up his airways.

Hope he is feeling better soon

sanfairyann Sun 25-Oct-09 22:07:32

it does take a while to shift completely but if you're not happy, go back to the gp to check it isn't moving into a secondary infection

ds took about a week to be back to normal but has had few bad nights since

PacificWerewolfwoohood Sun 25-Oct-09 22:13:34

Info about croup

DS2 had croup several times from about 18 months, had at least one or 2 attacks every winter and just had another one aged 5 1/2.
Typically he is totally well during the day, maybe with a runny nose, bit of a cold, and then has terrible breathing problems at night. Usually is bad enough to wake him up miserable, unable to breathe properly and scared on 2 consequtive (sp?) nights.
If your DS was whistling when breathing did he maybe have "viral induced wheeze"? The croup cough sounds v much like a seal's bark, v different from "normal" cough, IYKWIM.
Anyhoo, would agree, if you are worried about him, get him assessed again.
Hope he is better very soon.
smile

foxinsocks Sun 25-Oct-09 22:16:54

is he having that croupy cough every night (since last Sunday)?

yes, I would go back if you are worried at all. Mine always had about 2-3 nights of v severe croupy coughing/breathing problems then probably about another week before they were back to full health (coughing and breathing wise).

It's horrible croup. Hope he gets better soon.

PacificWerewolfwoohood Sun 25-Oct-09 22:22:09

BTW, I had croup myself, up to the age of 8 so I can remember my dad pacing the floor with me in his arms (stong, my dad wink). The most important thing for me was that he and my mum were calm and reassuring as I was scared enough myself. Also standing at an opened window helped, cool night air, rather than lots of steam. DS2 seems to get better v rapidly when I hold/sit him upright.
Anyway, that's just us. I am sure it is different for every child.
smile

gio71 Mon 26-Oct-09 08:04:17

thanks so much for responses. Had a bad night again so taking him back to docs today. Am thinking in my amateur doc way that maybe needs more cortisone as definitely improved after that and seems worse again now. Pacific thanks for the link and yes the cough is defintely seal like. Fox he hasn't had the cough since Sunday, it started around Tuesday, his fever and cold symptoms started Sunday but they seemed to have passed now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now