Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

3yr old has conjunctivitis - any recommended remedies??

(9 Posts)
cloudydaze Sun 25-Oct-09 13:39:47

Hello
DS1 seems to have a case of conjunctivitis, was fine when woke up but think from being outside in the wind for a few hours (& with mild cold) it's flared up. Just doing the cool boiled water but wondering if anyone has any other tips/suggestions to nip it in the bud.
Many thanks!

NorktasticNinja Sun 25-Oct-09 13:58:28

Breast milk works like magic, on the off chance you've got some...

RubberDuck Sun 25-Oct-09 14:01:28

Golden Eye - though check with the pharmacist that it's okay for 3 year olds. It cleared up ds2's conjunctivitis in 2 days.

meep Sun 25-Oct-09 14:02:52

take him to the seaside - only thing that cleared my dd2's up! Seriously though I think saline/salt solution can help but I don't know the quantities of salt to water - chemist might be able to help?

cloudydaze Sun 25-Oct-09 14:27:35

Thanks v much for the responses. Seaside bit far away from us unfort! Was thinking of putting some salt in the water, might just try it with a very small amount. No breast milk here NN, not 'til next year grin

dangskuLLANDBoneym Tue 27-Oct-09 16:12:17

Probably not recommended, especially for a 3yo shock but my mother always used a hot flannel for our sticky or pink eyes. Flannel under the hot tap/kettle, let it cool until you can stand it, then apply. I don't know whether the heat is actually sufficient to kill off the bacteria, or is potentilaly too dangerous. I don't think I'd try it with a 3 yo but works for grown-ups smile

I suppose you're looking for answers other than 'go to GP' but when 2mo DD had a snotty cold and conjunctivitis and cooled boiled water didn't do the trick (and before I'd figured out the logisitics of squirting breasmilk in a controlled way grin), the GP prescribed Fucithalmic viscous eye drops (fusidic acid). They worked but they did not make for a happy baby. I think you can buy it over the counter but need to check ok for 3yos (would think so if ok for 2mo).

I tried it myself a couple of times (out of same tube, didn't read the 'check first if you're bf' advice) when I had persistent pinkeye and the hot flannel didn't work. The first time, it worked but stung and I retropectively felt like a very mean mama. The second time I barely felt it.

SydneyB Tue 27-Oct-09 16:32:16

If he's 3 you can get Chloramphenicol from the chemist without prescription. I think the rule is once they're 2. It works instantly.

EightiesChick Tue 27-Oct-09 16:40:30

My nearly 10 mo old is currently having Chloramphenicol (on prescription) and it worked like magic overnight! Didn't know about breast milk or I'd have tried a squirt smile If you can get chloramphenicol without a prescription, I'd do so right away.

SydneyB Tue 27-Oct-09 16:43:02

I always have an unopened one in the medicine cabinet for those sunday morning outbreaks. Naughty I know but I've got it for my 1 yr old before by pretending its for my 2 yr old.. just to save all that faffing at GP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now