Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

1yr old DD sounds like she has a 40 a day habit.

(9 Posts)
purpleflower Sat 24-Oct-09 22:41:47

She started getting a cold and cough yesterday. It has been slightly worse today so I gave her some medised at about 6.30pm to help her sleep (please don't flame me, it was fine for my 3 year old son at that age!)

She just woke up crying and sounds wuite wheezy. I settled her with some milk but shes just started coughing again.

What can I do to help her, she has some karvol on a cloth near her cot. Is there anything else?

luciemule Sat 24-Oct-09 22:47:58

How old she? Could you limit the milk a bit as any dairy will make her have more phlegm (sp) and therefore make her cough more. Is her cot bed raised at the head end - might help her stop coughing a bit.
If her breathing sounds abnormal and very wheezy, maybe phone out of hrs doc?

purpleflower Sat 24-Oct-09 22:51:36

She's 1. I'm going to look for something to raise her cot with, I hadn't thought of that blush

I'm going to listen to her again, I don't really want to have to wake DS and drag the to the docs when it's just me overreacting IYSWIM.

Thank you.

shockers Sat 24-Oct-09 22:53:00

I used to roll up a hand towel and put it under the mattress at the head end.

purpleflower Sat 24-Oct-09 23:01:53

I put a book under each leg at her head end, it's about an inch and a half higher now, do you think thats enough, or should i put a towel there too?

I gave her a huge cuddle and it sounded like some phlem she can't shift by coughing, I'm going to keep checking her.

luciemule Sat 24-Oct-09 23:08:50

Also - if your heating is on, you could turn it off in her room and if you want to keep it on, perhaps put a bowl of water near the readiator to humidify the room a bit so it makes her cough less.

purpleflower Sun 25-Oct-09 11:09:28

Thank you for your advice last night.

Had her in the walk in centre this morning and she has a chest infection

luciemule Sun 25-Oct-09 14:23:46

Hope your dd gets better soon PF; guess they gave her antibiotics, which will soon clear it up.smile

purpleflower Sun 25-Oct-09 17:25:13

She seems a bit happier already.

She has antibiotics and I've been told to keep her dosed up on calpol and nurofen. She also advised to give her a pillow and steam the bathroom up to help her. If her breathing gets bad again I have to take her back so they can give her a steam thing again (neb something)

Thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now