Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Any help or advice on persistant recurrent cough in 2 yr old gratefully received!!!

(14 Posts)
katy1katy Sat 24-Oct-09 07:29:16

Message withdrawn

NancyBotwin Sat 24-Oct-09 07:53:21

Well it does sound like it's possibly asthma. Tbh if you're not prepared to take the GP's advice and try inhalers why would you take advice from a bunch of unqualified strangers on the Internet who've never met your child? hmm

foxinsocks Sat 24-Oct-09 07:56:34

is it only happening at night?

NancyBotwin Sat 24-Oct-09 08:04:03

Sorry that was probably a bit harsh on my part for your first post... welcome to the nest of vipers!

Why won't you try an inhaler? You are not necessarily committing her to using one for life...

foxinsocks Sat 24-Oct-09 08:05:58

lol nancy

I think there is a lot of bad info about inhalers. Both mine were on them for years (dd for her persistent cough, ds for v nasty wheezing from a baby onwards) but both are off them now. I think people don't like the word 'steroids' even though the dose is v small.

NancyBotwin Sat 24-Oct-09 08:10:54

I understand that concern about steroids foxy... what my GP suggested when dd had a persistent cough was to try an inhaler for a couple of weeks and see if it cleared up, then stop using it and see if the cough came back. That would then indicate asthma and then you could start making decisions about how to manage it. (In dd's case the cough did go away with the inhaler but didn't come back when we stopped!)

foxinsocks Sat 24-Oct-09 08:20:24

it's also because asthma is hard to diagnose in children that age I believe. So when they are older (I think 6+ but the guidelines might have changed), they can easily do those peak flow meters and it's much more obvious if it is asthma (because of the wheezing and general presentation). Whereas in younger children, esp babies and toddlers, they can present with the persistent cough which could be so many different things I guess. Ds always had the wheezing so it was far easier in many ways.

Tbh katy, it sounds like your doctors are doing the right thing and going through a list of possibilities. For dd, only the steriod inhalers did the trick and you can see my angsty posts in the archives about this as dd coughed persistently for years and years. It really affected her health because she was so exhausted every single morning - she had HUGE black rings round her eyes from tiredness and it exarcerbated an epigastric hernia (I still think it may have caused it). Hearing them cough like that for hours is v distressing.

Interestingly, my sister (who is a lot younger than me) had a persistent cough as a child and they put her on codeine linctus and it cleared it up but I'm not sure if that's a treatment they use these days!

GhostlyPixieOnaPumpkin Sat 24-Oct-09 14:11:51

Steroid inhalers are not as bad as they sound - the steroid dose goes straight to the lungs, where it's needed, and hardly any is absorbed into the blood stream, where it's not wanted.
A lot of parents also worry about their child's growth being stunted, but a lot of children with persistent coughs miss so much sleep, that they actually grow faster when on the steroids.
On a more personal note, I hate hearing DD2 and DS coughing and wheezing, and would try anything when they are bad, particularly when they are having an attack - don't you want to stop her sufferning, as it sounds like she is?
I'd give the steroid inhaler a chance, to be honest, because I think it's the better option, particularly as nothing you are trying is working.

katy1katy Mon 26-Oct-09 05:41:13

Message withdrawn

seeker Mon 26-Oct-09 05:54:44

This site might well be completely irrelevant, but it explained a persistent cough dp had, so it might just be worth considering.

katy1katy Mon 26-Oct-09 06:38:59

Message withdrawn

buzzybee Mon 26-Oct-09 06:53:29

katy, has your GP tried her on a low dose daily antihistimine? My dd (now 22 months) starting coughing at 6 months and didn't stop until 12 months when it was summer. She stopped coughing for about 4 months over summer then it started up again. GP then suggested using daily 2.5ml of Loratadine (1mg/ml). It took about 5 days to start working but has basically transformed her sleeping. I have stopped her twice and sure enough within a couple of days the cough came back. GP thinks she is probably allergic to fungal spores or something more prevalent in winter hence why it went away over summer. She is going in for an allergy test at the end of Nov at our local hospital so may get more info then.

3littlefrogs Mon 26-Oct-09 08:00:19

Ds2 had very bad asthma as a child and was on all kinds of inhalers including the steroid ones. He is now a big strapping rugby player and his asthma has completely gone. I thank god for those inhalers because they literally saved his life.

It sounds as if your GP is giving you the right advice.

katy1katy Tue 27-Oct-09 18:03:02

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now