Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Ds2 (7) has been vomiting and has pinprick rash on face

(13 Posts)
sphil Fri 23-Oct-09 23:14:22

@I've been trying to get through to nhs direct for 10 minutes - thought i'd probably get quicker advice here. He feels slightly hot (but our thermometer has run out of batteriesblush). Has been sick 3 times, at 5pm, 8pm and 9.30, which is when we discovered the rash. It doesn't fade under a glass. However, he seems fairly normal in himself (he's autistic, so not very communicative).

Have just got through to NHS Direct - they're on an hour and a half call back time! shock

Ant advice?

tribeleader Fri 23-Oct-09 23:16:33

It's probably caused from the wretching, small blood vessels can burst from the pressure

I wouldn't worry if he doesn't have other symptoms

LauraIngallsWilder Fri 23-Oct-09 23:17:35

Hi sphil

What happens when you put a glass on the rash (and a bit of pressure) -does the rash fade or remain

Do you think his neck is hurting

Cadelaide Fri 23-Oct-09 23:18:24

Are his hands and feet cold?

DS had a rash like this after vomiting, took him to A&E and they said it was burst capillaries caused by the strain of retching.

In your circumstances I'd go to A&E, anyway, just to be sure.

bibbitybobbitycat Fri 23-Oct-09 23:19:11

Can you google some images of rash? Have a look on NHS Direct website. I don't like the sound of it not fading tbh. But I am not with you both. Err on the side of caution.

LauraIngallsWilder Fri 23-Oct-09 23:20:01

Try here

Or take him straight to A&E if you are concerned enough

LauraIngallsWilder Fri 23-Oct-09 23:23:20

Sphil - sorry sorry I see now you have already done the glass test

Take him to A&E now then

sphil Sat 24-Oct-09 07:09:18

Sorry all - ended up feeling sick myself, so DH slept with DS2, who slept all night without being sick again. He's up now, watching DVDs and being completely normal - but he still has the rash. I feel OK-ish but still a little nauseous - so wonder if it's a bug.

NHS Direct eventually phoned back at 1.30am -lesson of the moment is not to go down with anything excpet swine flu!

I would have taken DS2 to A+E immediately if he had seemed 'altered' in any way - but he has been his normal self throughout. I think it's probably the blood vessels or a allergic reaction - his skin tends to react to anything 'foreign' in his body.

Now just have to cross everything that we don't all start being sick!

LauraIngallsWilder Sat 24-Oct-09 09:17:10

Hi sphil thanks for the update
I woke up this morning wondering about your ds

MontyPieThong Sat 24-Oct-09 13:56:53

My DD always gets this rash on her face when she is sick due to the force bursting blood vessels. The first time it happened I was terrified and took her to the doctors as it did not fade with a glass. Glad he is feeling better.

sphil Sat 24-Oct-09 15:25:00

He's just eaten a bowl of chips and is asking me for jumps - so must be feeling better grin

Cadelaide Sat 24-Oct-09 19:08:12

grin

Doc1066 Wed 19-Jul-17 16:24:48

Just read this thread, 8 years after it was first posted while preparing a teaching session for nurses. I am a GP
Just to let you know, my 3rd son Oliver regularly has this phenomenon when he vomits.
It is the pressure that appears to cause little pinpoints around the eyes. Its a bit worrying to the lay person as it doesn't fade under the glass test, but no point taking a child to A&E as they wont be able to do anything (if the child is otherwise well, they often feel better after vomiting).
However, a similar rash anywhere else on the body could be Meningitis and has to be taken very seriously, also, if there is NO history of vomiting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now