Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

11 month old with temperature and vomiting

(11 Posts)
redblue Fri 23-Oct-09 12:39:34

My baby girl (11 months) had a temperature at nursery yesterday although after calpol it settled down a bit. But this morning she also appeared to have a temperature of 38 and got herself into a coughing fit which ended in her vomiting her whole breakfast. She has slept for just under 2 hours now. I have a doc appointment for her this afternoon. Just wondering whether it is normal for her to sleep for 2 hours, do you think I should wake her? I am concerned she is dehydrated because she was sick all of her bottle this morning. Or should I just leave her to sleep? She does have a nap in the morning usually but never this long

belgo Fri 23-Oct-09 12:41:00

Has she had wet nappies as normal? What is her temperature now?

Dumbledoresgirl Fri 23-Oct-09 12:42:07

I would say leave her. She is clearly unwell and so she needs more sleep as her body fights whatever bug she has. I doubt one episode of vomiting would make her dangerously dehydrated.

belgo Fri 23-Oct-09 12:45:52

Agree DG - one episode of vomiting and a temperature of 38°C isn't likely to make her dehydrated.

Is she sleeping peacefully? Breathing normally? Does she have dry lips?

redblue Fri 23-Oct-09 12:48:29

she is just very red and her back feels very hot, hardly any wet nappies (infact none) today, she has just woken so I will try to give her some milk now, thanks for all replies, hopefully docs will work out what it is this afternoon

Jujubean77 Fri 23-Oct-09 12:49:39

I wouldn't wake her at this point v unlikely she is DH. I think she may be fighting it off. Have a look at her and see how she looks.

belgo Fri 23-Oct-09 12:52:52

If she has a temperature,give her calpol and a sip of water before giving her her milk (if you are bottle feeding).

Dumbledoresgirl Fri 23-Oct-09 13:15:16

She does sound poorly redblue, but not unduly so. I know what a worry it is though.

I hope the GP can reassure you later, and you see an improvement soon.

Jujubean77 Fri 23-Oct-09 14:27:32

Really hope is passes soon RB, it is so awful when they get ill.

redblue Fri 23-Oct-09 14:54:00

She took some of her bottle then promptly went back to sleep slumped on my lap, has just woken again (after about an hour and a half... how much sleep??!) and has refused her lunch so she is only really taking drinks. She does have a cough which the doctor told me last friday was nothing to worry about. Anyway we are off to docs for our appointment at 3.50pm soon. I try to avoid doctors as a rule but seem to be there a lot lately. She is now crying for another cuddle, very unlike her, never really been a cuddly baby since she was tiny but today is different for some reason...

Dumbledoresgirl Fri 23-Oct-09 15:05:56

The difference is she is feeling awful! Wanting cuddles, sleeping loads and not wanting to eat (don't worry about that last one btw) are all indicative of a child who has a temperature.

Hope the doctor's goes well for you. If she has had the cough for some time and only now has the temperature I would bet my bottom dollar that she has a secondary infection somewhere and you are going to come home with a prescription for anti-biotics. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now