Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Cold sore and young baby - worried

(6 Posts)
SpawnChorus Wed 21-Oct-09 15:23:17

DS2 is 4 weeks old, and I've just noticed that DD has a small red mark by her mouth. She's never had a cold sore before, but I'm worried that it might be one (is there a way of distinguishing it from a small cut??). She was kissing DS2 on his face earlier today. Freaking out now after that story about the baby dying after catching a cold sore from her mother sad

overmydeadbody Wed 21-Oct-09 15:25:35

How old is DD?

Is she complainging of the red mark hurting? Cold sores hurt like buggery. And they come up in little white/yellow blisters.

SpawnChorus Wed 21-Oct-09 15:32:26

She's 4 and says it doesn't hurt...no sign of blisters either.

redsofas Wed 21-Oct-09 16:01:50

i remember hearing that story too and purely because of that if nothing else i would make an emergency docs appt for baby to be seen, they will be able to fit you in thisafternoon if you phone now, they did for ds2's red eye when he was 4 weeks old

posieparker Wed 21-Oct-09 16:03:36

First cold sore is usually a whole mouth affair. My ds had blisters around his gums and was very very run down, he also get a type of coldsore on his fingerssad. I would think a coldsore, if it's the first, would be very obvious.

SpawnChorus Wed 21-Oct-09 20:06:43

Thanks posie...I've been scrutinising it, and I am pretty sure it's just a little cut. Your poor DS...must be horrible for him!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now