Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Removal of Adenoids to help with glue ear

(12 Posts)
CaptainUnderpants Tue 20-Oct-09 22:23:39

DS has had one lost of grommets over 2 years ago, due to have another set put in as they have fallen out and glue ear returned. ENT Consultant also considering taking adenoids out , once he has had a good look at them whilst DS is under general anethsetic.

Anyone had any experince of adeniods out to relieve glue ear ?

DS is 7 .

seasalt Tue 20-Oct-09 23:37:38

DS got grommets and had adenoids removed when he was 5. Had to have second set of grommets when he was 7 as infection returned when first pair fell out. The adenoid removal didn't prevent the ear infection recurring but did stop him from snoring. He used to be very loud snorer and that stopped instantly when he had them removed.

CaptainUnderpants Thu 22-Oct-09 19:17:03

Thanks seasalt - has removing the adenoids affected his speech in any way i.e become more nasal ?

My Ds speech is not as clear as another child his age , it's like he is all bunged up (which I suppose he is really )

seasalt Thu 22-Oct-09 23:06:05

Didn't notice any effect on his speech but he had been so ill before first op and looked terrible and next day I couldn't believe the difference it made.

AnyGhoulKno Thu 22-Oct-09 23:07:46

I had my adenoids out as a child and my speech didn't get nasal. Don't know if that helps at all!

CaptainUnderpants Fri 23-Oct-09 20:00:01

Thanks, just a concern that sounding nasal could happen.

helpYOUiWILL Sun 25-Oct-09 18:17:49

my son had his adenoids removed and he did sound nasally but it only lasted a couple of weeks. His adenoids were huge apparently so i think that is why he did.

CaptainUnderpants Sun 25-Oct-09 19:58:07

My DS has huge tonsils but never had a problem with tonsiltis, so we suspect his adenoids will be large as well .

CaptainUnderpants Sun 25-Oct-09 19:59:58

oh forgot to ask, if he has adeniods out he will be off school for a week , is that due to infection or just that he will be feeling like shite and a bit tender ? smile

Reallytired Sun 25-Oct-09 20:01:28

My son had his adenoids removed and grommets inserted at three and half years old. It was a quick and easy operation and it really improved his general health. Before the operation he had a constant runny nose. As far as speech goes its hard to tell. Before the operation my son had very little speech and his speech improved dramatically.

Runoutofideas Tue 27-Oct-09 11:17:27

My dd1 aged 4 is booked in to have adenoids out and grommets fitted in two weeks time. The glue ear means she suffers hearing loss and her enlarged adenoids mean she sounds permanently bunged up so I'm hoping the op will work miracles on both counts!

helpYOUiWILL Wed 28-Oct-09 20:21:06

adenoidectomy isnt a painful operation normally. The week off school is to get over the GA and for the risk of bleeding. It is normally done as a day case - with a 6hr recovery period back on the ward.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now