Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Children's sleep remedies

(6 Posts)
TTTrouble Tue 20-Oct-09 13:23:29

Hello,

I have a friend with a one year old who doesn't sleep.

She has been told about a product called 'Phinnegan' SP? but doesn't know anything about it.

Can anyone shed any light on it, she heard it could perhaps be a travel sickness remedy or something but not sure and would just like some info on it.

Thanks

BoysAreLikeDogs Tue 20-Oct-09 13:31:41

phenergan.v dangerous, not for the under 2s sorry

nightcat Tue 20-Oct-09 14:18:18

Could try Epsom salts in the bath instead? Only cost about £3 in the chemist.

"What are Epsom Salts?
Epsom Salts are the same thing as Magnesium Sulfate, which is a salt made of only magnesium and sulphate (and maybe a little bit of water). Magnesium is a positively charged ion, and it binds to sulfate, which is a negatively charged ion. Sulfate is a sulphur atom surrounded by four oxygen atoms.

What is the anticipated effect from an Epsom Salt bath?
Epsom Salts have long been used to stimulate detoxification, reduce
inflammation to sore muscles, promote healthy circulation, and help with relaxation and normalizing sleep patterns.
Most children respond to an ES bath by appearing happier, more relaxed. Some parents report that their children are more responsive, more "with it".
Some parents who give the bath in the evenings report that their children are able to get to sleep easier, and have a more normal sleep pattern.
Given over time, the ES baths may help reduce sensory integration symptoms. Some of this effect may occur due to benefits of detoxification, but it is much more likely to come from direct effects on the nervous system."

TTTrouble Tue 20-Oct-09 15:57:20

Thank you, my friend did have reservations of giving something like Phenergan (now I know the correct spelling). But it's good to know the facts.

The Epsom salts is interesting, we give our horses magnesium as it has a calming effect so this makes perfect sense, I will pass this info on.

Thanks again.

cocolepew Tue 20-Oct-09 16:02:11

That's very interesting about the Epsom salts

nightcat Thu 22-Oct-09 20:46:22

wow, TTT, how interesting about horses and Mg!! Apparently vet science is ahead of human science!
I know Mg (+B vits) work on me very well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now