Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Hand Foot and Mouth starting with vomitting ?

(9 Posts)
Wheelybug Mon 19-Oct-09 14:44:24

DD2 (7 months) has been v.v. snotty which I put down to teething (first tooth just through, assume number 2 coming up too). Last night she was up most of the night, crying and snotty. A bit off food this morning and then vomitted after lunch twice. Now sleeping.

A week ago, she was in contact with someone who later was diagnosed with H, F and M (and was obviously unwell at the time although hadn't come out in the spots).

From googling, vomitting isn't an obvious symptom but just wondered if anyone had experienced this - I guess time will tell ! ?

Wheelybug Mon 19-Oct-09 15:06:07

brightongirldownunder Mon 19-Oct-09 15:11:59

No vomiting when DD had HFM - maybe your DD just has a gastric bug/ mucous from runny nose made her sick?

Wheelybug Mon 19-Oct-09 15:52:03

Thanks Brightongirl (I was originally a brighton girl)

Am really hoping its excess snot ! She's fast asleep at the moment (not been sick since 1.15) ...

brightongirldownunder Mon 19-Oct-09 15:57:20

I think you'd have seen some spots by now - or blisters/ulcers in the mouth. Keep an eye on her for a few more days, they don't need many spots to have HFM. Sometimes its just in the mouth and the spots are more like pinpricks - mostly visible on soles of feet and palms of hands.
Fingers crossed its just snot!

Wheelybug Mon 19-Oct-09 15:58:51

Have been trying to look in her mouth the past few days since I knew she'd been in contact but she's not keen on letting me look !! Keep scrutinising her hands and feet too - poor thing !

RatherBeOnThePiste Mon 19-Oct-09 17:39:17

HF&M usually starts with a very sore throat, also one can easily mistake it also for teething - children are are often dribbly because spots tend to start in the mouth. This is the time when they may have a high temp too. A few days later they may appear on the hands and feet. It is very contagious and common in preschool age children.

Wheelybug Mon 19-Oct-09 19:28:12

thanks ratherbe, I think it may be just excess snot as a result of teething (she is definitely teething as her first tooth popped through last week). No more vomit yet despite a light tea and bedtime bottle (watered down slightly).

MamaGoblin Mon 19-Oct-09 19:32:10

DS has had HF&M three times! (ok, clearly not the same virus three times, but we've been told that there are many viruses that produce the same set of symptoms - blisters on fingers and toes, very sore throat, high temp etc - and he's had three of them!)

No vomiting or runny tummy with any of them, so I think it's likely to be something else.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now