Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Help Advice needed on 2wk old and blocked nose

(8 Posts)
Leethomas Sat 17-Oct-09 19:24:13

Could someone advice me. I have a 2 week old who had spent first week of her life in special care due to low blood sugars and other complications. but now ok. however we have been up all night and tearing our hair out today as she appears to have a blocked nose which is hampering her breast feeding and she is having alot of spit up after I breast feed her. She is finding breast feeding difficult as she can not breath through her nose and becomes very agitated and is difficult to settle and refuses to sleep and be put down in her moses basket.

Please help.

jabberwocky Sat 17-Oct-09 19:30:01

Have you tried saline spray to loosen things up? Anything you can put under her mattress to elevate her torso while she sleeps?

Leethomas Sat 17-Oct-09 19:34:18

Thanks have got saline drops but will try elevating her matress. Thanks

jabberwocky Sat 17-Oct-09 19:37:01

I hope it helps. It's not easy dealing with a 2 week old and then one with a stuffy nose makes it that much harder.

kitbite Sat 17-Oct-09 19:47:42

In some pharmacies you can get those tuby sucker things that suck the snot out. They hate it and it's fiddly but it does work. Poor ds had a humdinger of a cold at about 5 weeks and in the end I used one of these. He was not happy about it but 30 secs of complaining led to a snot free night.

That, and karvol. Hope she's better soon!

jabberwocky Sat 17-Oct-09 19:50:36

Oh, yes, the suction thingy - how could I have forgotten that! blush It does really help.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Sat 17-Oct-09 19:56:28

I'd second the saline drops and and small hand towel under the head end of her mattress.
Also make sure the air in the bedroom isn't too dry. A bowl of hot water beside te radiator can make a difference, especially if you add a drop of Olbas oil to it.

Hope things improve soon.

kitbite Sun 18-Oct-09 21:29:03

also remembered, a few drops of breatmilk up each nostril also does the trick. No idea why, but it really does work. Miracle stuff

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now