Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

can a baby be ill without a temp?

(8 Posts)
lydiathetattooedlady Sat 17-Oct-09 07:20:10

please bare with me having a nightmare time and dont know what to do! ds 1s 3 1/2m, always nights have been feeding every 1 1/2hrs but would always go back to sleep.
for the last 2 nights he's done his usual going down 6.30-7 and sleeping until about 11-12. however when he is waking he is screaming not feeding as much and impossible to settle! last night he was awake and cryingfrom 1-4 managed to settle him to sleep for about an hour but then awake crying. he has no temp so not sure if he is ill or not even though this behaviour is not like him. he is showing signs of teething, chewing fists dribbling, but for the past few days has also had very runny dark green pooh! he is exclusively breast fed but this will sound weird his tummy is making funny rumbling sounds?? and lastly when ive been putiing him down his face looks scared and his arms shoot out! i know this is probably nothing and im clutching at straws but dont know what to do! should i try and get a saturday dr appointment?

tillyfernackerpants Sat 17-Oct-09 07:44:05

poor you! My instincts say its probably teething. It can upset them in so many ways including sleeping & their stomachs/poos. I'm not sure about him looking scared when you put him down, that could just be because he's unsettled.

I would see how he goes this morning, if he feeds normally etc. Have you got any teething powders? They can help soothe gums a little, best way at this age is to dab it on your fingers and gently rub it onto their gums.

If you're still worried by lunchtime then see your dr or call NHS direct.

hth, and hope you manage to get some rest today smile

alypaly Sat 17-Oct-09 23:27:01

teething can upset everything and they dont always get a temp,but can get diarrohea and sore bums

IMoveTheStarsForNoOne Sat 17-Oct-09 23:32:04

Teeth. Try neurofen if calpol has no effect.

DS never had a temp while teething.

HTH

alwayslookingforanswers Sat 17-Oct-09 23:36:27

probably teeth - but all 3 of my DS's have been ill and ended up on antibiotics (usually chest infections) with no temp; however they are a little odd in that respect I think, when my DS's have even a slight temp I panic blush (because I know with "regular" infections they don't get one)

thereluctantrobin Sat 17-Oct-09 23:49:52

I was told my GP that small babies can spike temperatures for very short periods of time and so it's possible to miss a temperature. Also that they get viruses really often. My ds also once had a lot of green poo after quite a mild virus (can't remember if there was a temperature or not) - it caused temporary lactose intolerance hence undigested milk and green poo. It does sound like perhaps perhaps your ds is in pain for one reason or another - hope it doesn't last too long.

teamcullen Sun 18-Oct-09 00:06:04

A raised temperature is a sign of infection, as your body radiates more heat as it is working harder to fight it off. However you can be ill without an infection/temperature.

Could it be colic if he is reasonably well during the day.

If you think his teeth are bothering him, Id give him a dose of paracetamol or ibruprofin for the pain.

IMoveTheStarsForNoOne Sun 18-Oct-09 00:57:25

also, cannot emphasise enough - if calpol isn't working please try ibuprofen.

calpol has NO effect on DS, never had. Ibuprofen on the other hand.. it's like an off-switch for pain for him.

HTH

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now