Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Am I over reacting?

(15 Posts)
LynetteScavo Wed 14-Oct-09 11:15:30

On Friday morning, DD woke up with a massive bottom lip; we went to A&E, saw lovely nurse, and Dr, who both said she had some sort of alergic reaction, continue with Piriton.

Last night DD's top lip and one cheek have swollen. She's finding it difficult to eat and talk.

Went to GP this morning, and saw nurse who seemed unconcerned, and said see GP if it keeps happening.

I sat up last night for an hour wathching her sleeping, as I was scared there would be more swelling and she wouldn't be able to breath.

I'm going to make GP apt now, to ask that she is tested to see what is causing this. Is that too pushy?

kreecherlivesupstairs Wed 14-Oct-09 11:21:15

Not in the slightest. Go with your gut feeling, you only have one dd and you want to minimise the distress this is causing her.

Pyrocanthus Wed 14-Oct-09 11:25:50

No, I'd be worried too.

3littlefrogs Wed 14-Oct-09 11:30:19

No - I think investigating an allergy that causes swelling of the mouth/face is very important. Can you have a good think about everything she has eaten or drunk in the hours before this happened? Make a list - anything new? And make sure you have antihistamines in the house.

Think about things like jams, juice drinks, fruit with edible skins like plums/peaches/nectarines, any kind of nuts, anything with colouring.

ShowOfHands Wed 14-Oct-09 11:31:51

No, you have those instincts there for a reason. If she is allergic to something, that something is still present and still affecting her as her reaction is getting worse.

I think the lack of concern from the Dr and nurse is reassuring from the pov of it's not a serious reaction, but it's a reaction nonetheless and is continuing so of course you should pursue an explanation.

elmofan Wed 14-Oct-09 11:49:28

not pushy at all imo - your poor lo , good luck at the doctors , hope she is feeling better soon , x

LynetteScavo Wed 14-Oct-09 12:16:18

Thanks, we have a GP apt' tommorow.

There seems ot be a new system at our surgery where "new problems" are only seen by a nurse. I'm a bit hmm about it.

DD really hasn't eaten anything new that I know of. 'Tis a mystery, but we shall be keeping a food diary form now on.

nellie12 Wed 14-Oct-09 12:23:09

I would get her seen today. Do you have a walk in centre you can take her to? If gp wont give you emergency appointment today or if you can get to walk in centre then I would take her back to A&E.
Any swelling on the face that is as you describe should be investigated immediately as it has the potential to spread and block thge airways. You arent over reacting and A&E staff wont think so either.

elmofan Wed 14-Oct-09 12:33:49

i agree with nellie - i wouldn't wait either , waiting just means another night of worry for you & an uncomfortable night for your dd , i have a very bad allergy to fish , last year after a walk along the beach my face swelled up so bad my eyes almost closed over , 1 phone call to gp & i was put on a course of steroids , piriton is good but i doubt it will be strong enough to help your dd's swelling . hope she is ok -good luck x

LynetteScavo Wed 14-Oct-09 12:38:21

You really think I should go to the walk in? Piriton doesn't seem to be doing much good, TBH.

what do you think they would do?

Pyrocanthus Wed 14-Oct-09 12:40:12

If nothing else, they might prescribe a stronger antihistamine or steroids. Testing will presumably have to be initiated by GP.

nellie12 Wed 14-Oct-09 12:51:19

I would definitely get her seen.

Reread your post and noticed that she is having trouble eating and talking. I would be going to A&E myself because the swelling appears to be inside her mouth which is very worrying.

A&E can give injections of steroids or piriton if that is whats needed. They can also monitor her closely and if there is any further swelling then you are in the right place.

Pleas dont leave it. I have to say that if a patient came to me with a swollen face that was stopping them eating or talking they would already be in A&E.

elmofan Wed 14-Oct-09 12:55:26

if you are worried then yes you should go to the walk in centre , piriton is good for itching etc as its an antihistamine , but swelling is different , as other posters have said swelling could effect her breathing therefore is a real concern , how old is your dd ? imo she might need a course of steroids to stop the swelling & while you are there ask the gp to organise allergy testing if possible .

LynetteScavo Thu 15-Oct-09 19:47:19

Just to up date, we didn't go to walk in center, but saw GP today, who immediately refered DD for alergy testing, saying it was "quite reasonable".


elmofan Thu 15-Oct-09 21:40:46

ah i am glad your gp is sending her for tests smile hopefully then you will be able to find out what has caused this reaction , hope she is feeling better soon , x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: