Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Another asthma question. . .

(3 Posts)
GhostlyPixieOnaPumpkin Tue 13-Oct-09 18:35:50

I posted yesterday about how wheezy DS(8) was when he got home from school, and how the practise nurse said it sounded like asthma, and gave him a Ventolin inhaler. We have to go back tomorrow for the GP to confirm that it is asthma, and the nurse said he'd probably give him a brown inhaler too.
He was fine taking the inhaler at the surgery (I think he just wanted to feel less uncomfortable, poor thing), but when I came to give it to him before he went to bed, and when he got home from school (the nurse suggested we do it regularly, as he was quite bad last night), he is refusing to take it. So far, I managed to get him to take it before bed after ages of trying to persuade him, but didn't manage to get him to take it after school, even though he was starting to sound a bit wheezy (he still does, and I'm quite worried about him).
Any tips, please? DD2 has always been so good at taking hers!

RubysReturn Tue 13-Oct-09 20:52:26

Could you set a timer on his watch (or buy a bribe one if necessary), so when it beeps, he is responsible for using inhaler (assuming preventer)?

Poss lend him your phone for tonight for timer - so he is 'in control'

GhostlyPixieOnaPumpkin Wed 14-Oct-09 15:44:34

Thanks for that - I hadn't thought of letting him time it for himself, and tell me when he needs to take it - we'll try that!
We had the GP appointment this morning, and he confirmed asthma (he said DS still sounded a bit wheezy, so gave him a puff of Ventolin while he was there to see how he responded, and said that he did well, so it was probably asthma). He's prescribed the brown preventer inhaler as well as the Ventolin.
I'll see how he goes tonight?
Any other suggestions, since we've now got to cope with two, plus him telling us/the teacher when he's wheezy so he can have Ventolin (I'm not sure he will, since he doesn't like taking it)?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now