Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Brown birthmark on 2yo, will it fade?

(2 Posts)
LissyGlitter Tue 13-Oct-09 00:24:17

2.5yo DD has a brown birthmark on her lower leg, it looks a bit like a coffee stain, not raised or anything. She hasn't even noticed it yet, and no-one has remarked on it, but I am worried that when she eventually does notice it, she could be self-concious about it. Is there anything I can do to help it fade, or will it do so anyway as she gets older?

It is probably about 10cm or so in diameter.

PrettyCandles Tue 13-Oct-09 00:31:12

I doubt it will fade. It may even darken if it is exposed to the sun. Probably a good idea to always use very high factor sunscreen on it. (9yo ds has many marks on his back, some lighter than his skin and some darker, though none as large. He gets more every summer, and they have never faded.)

She won't be self-conscious about it if you aren't.

If you are concerned then have a chat with your GP. Also try googling birthmarks or cafe au lait marks - there are many support groups around, with greater knowledge than mine! I googled years ago, as I had a huge strawberry birthmark on my face when I was little, and was concerned for my dc. Fortunately they are not inherited.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now