Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Are there any bugs like this around at the moment?

(7 Posts)
itsmeolord Mon 12-Oct-09 16:10:07

DD age 9 started complaining of a very sore throat yesterday, very flat today, normally full of beans.
Has no symptoms other than the sore throat, she doesn't even want to drink as she says it hurts too much.
She is currently alseep next to me on the sofa, no temperature but definitely poorly.

Any ideas?

whomovedmychocolate Mon 12-Oct-09 20:14:01

Tonsillitis - have a look in her throat for white lumps or ulcers. A saltwater gargle will help.

costagirl Mon 12-Oct-09 20:16:15

DS age 8 has been off school today with similar - says throat hurts, and tummy, very lethargic & tired. Not much temperature. LOADS of kids at the school were off today - 7 in his class, 11 in another class!! There's obviously a nasty virus around.

TheWheelsOnTheBusHaveFallenOff Mon 12-Oct-09 20:20:12

Agree sounds like bad tonsillitis - but if it gets to the point where she cannot only not drink but can't swallow her own saliva and finds it hard to even speak then you may be looking at an abscess on her tonsils (aka a quinsey) and should get her seen by someone pronto. Even if it's not a quinsey, if she really can't even have sips of water she's going to get dehydrated so would still need to see a medic soon.

Sorry that sounds scare-mongery, just that I had recent personal experience of this and it took a trip to the GP, a visit from a paramedic, a trip to A&E where I was seen by a dr and two nurses before I was finally diagnosed by the GP locum 24 hours later, so it is worth knowing the symptoms.

costagirl Mon 12-Oct-09 20:21:32

In fact DS is crying upstairs now, so will have to postpone Mumsnet. he's had no appetite for a few days, either. Would be thinking swine flu if there was a high temp, but prob just a virus. Hope your DD feels better soon.

Goober Mon 12-Oct-09 20:23:56

Swine flu?

costagirl Mon 12-Oct-09 20:54:36

Yes I know, it hadn't occurred to me, and wouldn't have crossed my mind until school secretary observed the enormous number of kids off today - at least 7 in each class. Just a really sudden virus I expect.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now