Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DS passed his 'baby hearing test' but starting to think he my have hearing problems.

(7 Posts)
Disenchanted3 Mon 12-Oct-09 16:00:13

He had to go back when he was newborn as he failed his first but passed his second.

He gets alot of ear problems, earache, infections etc ...

He shout ALOT he is very loud and when we read stories he always sayd 'huh? what?' like he misses bits out.

He had a sore ear last night and was shouting for DH every hour or so, when DH went in DS said that his ear hurt and it was making an 'urrrrr' sound.

He then told DH that it does tthis sound all the time, he just ignores it

Do I take him to the GP first?

Any experienced anything like this?

ChopsTheDuck Mon 12-Oct-09 16:15:10

it sounds like glue ear to me. I would take him to the gp.

Disenchanted3 Mon 12-Oct-09 16:31:34

Thanks,

I'll try and get an appointment for tomorrow x

Runoutofideas Mon 12-Oct-09 17:18:07

My daughter has glue ear, and what you are saying sounds familiar. We are currently debating whether to have grommets or not so would be interested to hear how you get on. How old is your ds? My dd is 4 and has just started school. We are waiting to see if the teacher thinks it's causing her problems.

LIZS Tue 13-Oct-09 18:38:22

Agree could well be glue ear. Even kids with underlying perfect hearing can get it - dd had it in year 1 and was miserable.

anonandlikeit Tue 13-Oct-09 22:15:58

The newborn hearing tests only test the nerve bit of the hearing, doesn't test the clarity of what is being heard
DS2 passed after several attempts but had glue ear. He struggled with frequesnt ear infections & inflammation & had some fluctuating hearing loss.
Ask your gp to refer you to ENT & audiology (depends on local set up).

Disenchanted3 Thu 15-Oct-09 09:29:21

Oh thats what it sounds like then.

Me and DH have been super ill this week so not made him an appointment yet as we have been strugglig to even get out for the school runs.

I'll make sure he has an appointment Monday an let you know what GP says /does.

Thanks you all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now