Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Ab's - how do you get your lo to take it!!??

(6 Posts)
Sexonlegs Mon 12-Oct-09 11:11:44

Ladies, help please.

dd2 (2.5) has been prescribed erithromycin (sp?) for a suspected bacterial skin infection. She has to take it 4 times a day.
I have tried with a spoon and a syringe, and she just spits it out.

Any tips on how I can get her to swallow the stuff I have tried bribing her with a lolly, but to no avail.

I need to give her the next lot at 1.30, so any help much appreciated!!

Sexonlegs Mon 12-Oct-09 11:30:54

Bump

norksonmywitchesbroomstick Mon 12-Oct-09 11:33:36

I always put in in a syringe, and get them to suck the syringe rather than pushing the plunger, seems to initiate a better swallow reflex.

Oh and bribing with chocolate buttons grin

Bucharest Mon 12-Oct-09 11:34:31

Yup, bribing with something disgustingly sweet straight after here too.

elmofan Mon 12-Oct-09 11:39:53

oh you have my sympathy , dd (3) has just finished that yesterday , she had an infection in her eczema , & we had terrible trouble getting her to take it , in the end i had to have a sweet in my hand ready to pop into her mouth the second she swallowed the medicine . i used the syringe to give it to her . if there is no way your dd will take it maybe go back to the pharmacy & ask them if its possible to add the medicine into a small drop of juice or something - sorry thats all i can think of - good luck x

Poledra Mon 12-Oct-09 11:45:12

I used to sit DD1 at the kitchen table with a drink of orange juice sitting right next to her, so she could see that she could grab the drink as soon as she was finished the medicine. Have to say, though, am glad DD2 didn't have to have ABs at the same age, as she is not as easily bribed more stubborn that DD1.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now