Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Children's diarrhea (TMI Altert)

(9 Posts)
jofeb04 Sun 11-Oct-09 18:42:53

Hiya,

My ds (5) has had diarrhea (sp?) a number of times today. He is not ill with it and has no virus or on-going stomach pain.
He gets a bad stomach pain, and then the diarrhea happens. He often does not get to the toilet in time, as it occurs that quick, and is extremelly liquidy.

What is the best way to treat it? Is it still only water for tonight, or can he have food as it seems he is not "actually" ill if that makes sense!

What could cause this kind of diarrhea?

Thanks

mummyandbaby Sun 11-Oct-09 19:24:24

My DS also 5 had this during the week. I would try him with half a piece of dry toast before bed as this may settle his stomach overnight. Tomorrow start with BRAT (bananas, rice, apples/applesauce/toast) diet and then gradually introduce more foods once you know he is ok. I think it must be a bug going around.

jofeb04 Sun 11-Oct-09 19:46:31

Thanks for that. We're going to keep him off school tomorrow just in case so we'll keep an eye on what he can eat.

whomovedmychocolate Sun 11-Oct-09 19:58:13

He should be kept off school for 48 hours after the last incidence of diarrhea. It's important to keep his fluids up. But you can withdraw food for at least 12 hours (which nicely coincides with overnight so he won't suffer) and make sure he takes in clear fluids.

Agree with BRAT DIET but go very slowly. And when he does start eating again, make sure he has plenty of roughage to avoid a reactive constipation episode.

jofeb04 Sun 11-Oct-09 20:16:06

Thanks for the information.

Is it still 48hours when he is feeling fine iyswim (no fever or anythiing?

cookielove Sun 11-Oct-09 20:18:26

yes it is still 48 hours, even if he appears fine

whomovedmychocolate Sun 11-Oct-09 20:21:45

Yep, 48 hours - the reasons are two fold - first of all symptoms can return and secondly for 2 days after D&V you are still expelling the nasty bugs and are contagious. Sorry.

jofeb04 Sun 11-Oct-09 20:21:59

Thanks.

mummyandbaby Mon 12-Oct-09 14:32:38

How is your DS today?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now