Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Cold symptoms and temperature for over 3 days - GP or not?

(5 Posts)
BertieBotts Wed 07-Oct-09 21:59:14

DS (just turned 1) has had cold symptoms and a temperature on and off since Sunday afternoon. On the side of the calpol/baby nurofen bottles etc it says to seek medical advice if you are using it for more than 3 days. I don't want to drag him out on a 2-bus journey, one of which I'll have to fold the pushchair on, if the GP is just going to say he's fine, it's a virus, keep him rested and give him fluids.

He hasn't got a rash and isn't dehydrated, he hasn't been sick. He is bf constantly and sleeping a lot, but I'm not worried - I think it will ease off in the next couple of days. I don't really think the GP is going to be able to do anything. Oh - he has got conjunctivitis as well but I'm treating it with breastmilk which seems to be working.

Should I take him, is there something I am overlooking?

MinkyBorage Wed 07-Oct-09 22:02:48

I'd get him looked at to be sure. Sounds like you're on top of it, and I'm probably too much of a worrier, but he's still quite young, and 3 days of a temp is quite long.

Kewcumber Wed 07-Oct-09 22:09:13

depends how high a temp - over 38 snd I think I'd take him in case it a chest/ear infection otherwise would just keep dosing with calpol.

BertieBotts Thu 08-Oct-09 21:25:22

I took him and it has turned into a chest infection Good job I did then He has got some antibiotics now and seems to be sleeping better.

Kewcumber Thu 08-Oct-09 22:32:12

Oh good (not that he has a chest infection but that you took him!) smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now