Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

What to drink? Juice or flavoured water?

(7 Posts)
fifitot Wed 07-Oct-09 18:34:29

DD is 3 and won't drink plain water unless very thirsty. I give her pure juice, slightly watered down but am aware it is potentially teeth rotting. The low sugar squashes have lots of nasty chemicals in it seems including sacchirine or aspartamane - some.

Got some still flavoured water which went down well today but it still has some scary additives in - well they read scary anyway!

What do you do?

LIZS Wed 07-Oct-09 18:37:23

I'm sure she would drink water if there are no other options ! Try adding a splash of fruit juice and diluting it, then increasing the level of dilution. Juice at meals is ok but try plain water in between.

fifitot Wed 07-Oct-09 18:40:06

I don't drink water all the time so feel it a bit unfair just to give her water all the time! She will drink water but it's nice to have a choice sometimes.

I just wondered in the scheme of things if watered down juice was still better than sugar free squash.

BertieBotts Wed 07-Oct-09 18:43:23

I would say diluted fruit juice is better than sugar free stuff. Just make sure she brushes her teeth

BertieBotts Wed 07-Oct-09 18:45:23

Would like to add that I don't like drinking water unless I am very thirsty/it is ice cold water and I will go without a drink if it's the only thing available blush I know it's bad but I really don't like it that much.

OP have you tried High Juice squash as well? I think that is free of aspartame etc.

ruddynorah Wed 07-Oct-09 18:47:08

i'd try iced water or water in a fancy cup first before you go flavouring it. it is amazing what a twisty straw or a 'special princess' cup or whatever can do smile

fifitot Wed 07-Oct-09 19:46:50

No - have tried the cups/straws and stuff...thanks though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now