Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

recurring pneumonia - any experiences?

(14 Posts)
QwertyQueen Wed 07-Oct-09 16:14:00

the doctor has no real reason for it at this point - has anyone experienced this?
Is it bad luck / prone to it / never fully gone in the first place?
He has allergies which could contribute apparently.

QwertyQueen Thu 08-Oct-09 07:55:11

Guess that's a "no" then!

foxinsocks Thu 08-Oct-09 08:00:07

if it's a child, I think there is the capacity to have a weakness in a certain lung (non medical person here!)

ds had persistently awful chest infections from when he was born till about 3. Then he suddenly outgrew them. It always seemed to be the same lung that was affected so I suspect that his lung strengthened as he matured but I have no idea if this is a bollocks theory grin.

You need boco as her little one had incidents of pneumonia I believe.

Boco Thu 08-Oct-09 09:35:57

Hello. My dd had pneumonia 5 times in the last year, and is just recovering from another chest infection which I don't think was pneumonia but treated the same. We were referred to a paediatritian who sees her every couple of months, she was tested for CF and they've done various other tests but found no reason. So, I'm in the same position as you really - she probably has asthma and allergies which contribute - it could have been that the first episode never properly went, or caused scarring on one lung which means she has a weakness. There havent' been any conclusive answers but we're just hoping that she grows out of it.

She was given singulair tablets but they didn't work so stopped. She takes a steroid iinhaler all the time.

It's very frustrating not knowing why isn't it.

kreecherlivesupstairs Thu 08-Oct-09 09:52:51

Our dd had pneumonia four times in a year. She was admitted to hospital and given IV antibiotics and fluids. The first time she had it she was aged about 5 months, so very very scary. Doctor said she'd outgrow it and she has. I have always been vigilant about chest infections, and though she's had a couple of these, no more than anyone else.
Good luck.

QwertyQueen Thu 08-Oct-09 19:44:13

thanks for the replies.
I think I will get an appointment with a paediatrician too.
He has it in both lungs which is horrible, but luckily he hasn't needed to be hospitalised (touch wood).
He had a bad allergic reaction on SUnday night to a friend's dog and I can't help but wonder if their poor bodies are so focused on fighting allergies that their immunity to other things is weakened?
Positive to hear your stories of them growing out of it.... thank you

QwertyQueen Thu 08-Oct-09 19:46:06

Kreecher, when you say you are vigilant about chest infections what do you mean? Can you take action to make them less severe?

strawberrycornetto Thu 08-Oct-09 19:58:14

My son has also had pneumonia twice and numerous other severe chest infections. Like Boco, we have had a battery of tests but it looks like a combination of asthma and allergies may be at the root of the problem.

We are also vigilent about chest infections, by which I mean we go to the doctor at the first sign of a cough that is lingering or worsening. They have given us antibiotics a couple of times earlier than they would normally because of his history. We have singulair and a brown inhaler which has just been introduced to help him through this winter. (He's 19 months and was 7 months old when he first got ill last winter).

DianaTibble Thu 08-Oct-09 19:59:31

Hi sorry to bash on ...which I really am trying not to, it's just that as a homeopath of many years, I have seen childrens health improve with treatment and especially in those that every cold, goes straight to their chest, these children respond very well to homeopathy.

Take a look at the Society of Homeopaths website...you may want to give it a try..
good luck Diana x

alibobins Thu 08-Oct-09 20:25:43

Ds has had pneumonia 3 or 4 times but alot more chest infections he see's a consultant at the hospital every 6 weeks and our normal gp weekly.
He also suffers with allergies and asthma but no real reason for the repeated pneumonia apart from a week chest.
Touch wood this year we haven't had an infection since august.
Hope your Dc improves soon.

kreecherlivesupstairs Fri 09-Oct-09 14:18:31

Just to clarify, when I say I am vigilant about chest infections, I mean she goes to the doctor as soon as possible. Touch wood since moving to Switzerland she's had no trouble in the chest dept. It was a different story in Bangkok with the pollution.

QwertyQueen Fri 09-Oct-09 20:40:39

Hi,
Just to let you all know, I took DS (he is 3 BTW) to a Paed with good pulmonary expertise, and he said it is more than likely related to the allergies, and potential asthma. We are taking a preventative approach with the singulair and inhaler for a month or so until the virus season is over (in Southern Hemisphere) and then see from there. We moved here recently so I think he is getting all the bugs going around.
Also going to be vigilant about inhaled irritants - switching from soap powder to those ozone balls, getting a latex mattress for him etc so this might all help.
thnx
\

hooplahoop Mon 12-Oct-09 17:47:34

My Lo is under a really good consultant as was very poorly in their first winter ( twice in PICU)

He explained their condition like this - imagine the lungs are smooth when healthy, and then they get a chest infection which makes the lungs look all scaley - like a burn. Then when the next cold/ virus comes along its more likely to get trapped and cause asthma... I wonder if this could be the same for pneumonia?

So the longer between infections ( and we avoid people with bugs) the better to give the body chance to repair.

Stack434 Sun 18-Oct-09 21:07:17

my ds got had pneumonia the first time at 18 months and has had it so many times since then (he's now 3 1/2) that I've lost count. It seems to be a fall/winter thing. We went from Feb/March 09 till just a few weeks ago without so much as a cold and then he got it again. Now a few weeks later its back. He's been on flovent and still got pneumonia (they thought MAYBE asthma but I don't think so), we do albuterol in the nebulizer when he gets it cuz I think it works better than the inhalers, and we've done several antibiotics and more x rays than I can count. He also has flonase but i don't even believe he has allergies. He's been scoped, had the sweat chloride test, and his blood drawn and tested for immune deficiencies. Its only landed us in the hospital once cuz I can catch it before he even starts breathing heavily but I want to find out why he gets it. I HATE to see him suffer like this. He never gets anything but pneumonia and every cold turns into pneumonia and nobody can tell me why!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now