Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Oh dear god what is it!?!?

(43 Posts)
TheWiltedRose Tue 06-Oct-09 21:04:08

Ds2 has just thrown up all over himself and his bed. There was lots of it and it was a dark brown colour so brown i thought he had just had a serious bout of diarrea instead!

I cant think of what made him be sick he has been cleaned up had a small drink of water and put back into his bed (clean obv)and seems tired but fine but it scared the life out of me he was fast asleep and just started chocking on it shock

Any experience in tthis kind of thing? Am worried as he's never been sick that colour before

FlamingoBingo Tue 06-Oct-09 21:04:52

What has he eaten today?

kormaAAAARRRRGGHHchameleon Tue 06-Oct-09 21:06:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheWiltedRose Tue 06-Oct-09 21:07:58

He had shredded wheat for breakfast, dont know what he had for lunch as it was at nursery but usually very healthy but plain. When he came home he had some raisens and then for dinner he had chicken and chips.

Nothing out of the ordinary except the chicken (garlic and herb marinaded) but we all ate that and me and ds1 are fine!

meltedmarsbars Tue 06-Oct-09 21:08:07

The only problem with sleeping with you is that he might be sick again - on you.

Chocolate would make it brown, and also partially digested food can appear brown.

morningpaper Tue 06-Oct-09 21:08:07

BAD LUCK

Has he eaten chocolate at all today - even this morning?

Yes - sleep in with him - don't put your face too close though

TheWiltedRose Tue 06-Oct-09 21:08:26

Oh and he had some chocolate after dinner.

Heated Tue 06-Oct-09 21:09:04

Mucus, intermingled, can be brown or bile green in colour. If he's eaten meat, chocolate or an interesting colour-blend of food, that too can be brown. Puke's not always yellow with orange bits in itgrin

Hope he feels better soon.

morningpaper Tue 06-Oct-09 21:09:15

there are loads of bugs

when there is A LOT of it - in my experience - it is often a one-off, the body getting rid of something he's eaten - like half a pack of blu-tack or something wink

TheWiltedRose Tue 06-Oct-09 21:09:46

He cant sleep in with me as i already have ds1 in my bed who had a nightmare and i cant fit them both in.

The chocolate sounds like the culpret of the colour of it but i wonder why he was sick.

morningpaper Tue 06-Oct-09 21:10:19

Ahhh it's probably chocolate-covered sick then

lovely

FlamingoBingo Tue 06-Oct-09 21:10:28

<boak> at 'don't put your face too close though' grin

Rose - it's probalby just a bug. Children get bugs easily. Try to calm down about it. I meant 'what had he had to eat?' as in 'has he eaten anything that might make his sick brown'?

Just keep an eye on him, and offer him sips of water.

Ring NHS direct if you're worried.

TheWiltedRose Tue 06-Oct-09 21:12:40

Morning im intrigued about that half a pack of blu tack! Does look like chewing gum i suppose lol

He is fast asleep again now and seems to be ok, am definately hoping it was a one off, i couldnt face that kind of mess again i was nearly being sick myself envy

zippy539 Tue 06-Oct-09 21:18:52

Er don't want to be alarmist here and it almost CERTAINLY was the chocolate but there is the very rare possibility that it could be something else. I'm only saying this because my intestines got blocked once and what should have gone down came up - sorry to be gross.

If there were any other clues that it could have been anything other than chocolate puke then you should get him checked out. Tbh I think it's unlikely (I was in a lot of pain/hospitalised before it happened) but thought you should know!!

Off to brush my teeth for the zillionth time...

morningpaper Tue 06-Oct-09 21:23:07

OMG HOW CAN I ERASE MY BRAIN

TheWiltedRose Tue 06-Oct-09 21:24:21

Thanks zippy ill keep a carefull eye out but as it was out of the blue and he has been fine all day it seems it might have been the chicken and chocolate combo to mush for him.
Wont get a wink of sleep now i know ill be running in every 10 mins to check him! (tired emoticon) Oh man i was half asleep myself before he vomited!

TheWiltedRose Tue 06-Oct-09 21:25:19

Oh dear god ive just realised whatt you meant i thought you meant the food came up shock

I second morning how do i erase it!?!?

meltedmarsbars Tue 06-Oct-09 21:26:59

Fantastic thread killer, Zippy!

bloss Tue 06-Oct-09 21:27:10

Message withdrawn

FlamingoBingo Tue 06-Oct-09 21:29:31

It'll smell like poo if it is poo - trust me!

Northernlurker Tue 06-Oct-09 21:29:46

Ok I think what happened to poor Zippy is very rare (and gross!)

Chocolate has made the vomit brown. It may be a tummy bug, could be indigestion or caused by a small temp - that's the sort of thing that makes my kids sick just the once after they've gone to bed. Just hang in there and keep a bucket handy!

ILikeToQuickstepItTangoIt Tue 06-Oct-09 21:30:48

It's called faecal vomitting - not nice apparantly.

morningpaper Tue 06-Oct-09 21:31:49

I think the three most unnecessary words in the English language are "not nice apparantly" following the words "faecal vomitting"

zippy539 Tue 06-Oct-09 21:31:56

Sorry guys. You think YOU are traumatised???!!!

It truly was the most MINGING thing that has ever happened to me in my life and not something I admit to in casual conversation (except on a really widely read internet forum... [hmmm] )

Still forewarned is forearmed.

Wonder if this thread might have made the Daily Mail...

ILikeToQuickstepItTangoIt Tue 06-Oct-09 21:32:36

I didn't mean that your ds was faecal vomitting, as Flamingo said, you would know if he had.

The culprit is probably the chocolate and raisins.

I hope he feels better soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now