Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Anyone heard of massage techniques to help clear snotty cough?

(5 Posts)
BraveNewWorld Mon 05-Oct-09 08:42:47

My 14mth old has had a loud chesty cough for a week (doc checked and not too concerned) ... but I've heard that if the snot sits in the chest for too long it can lead to chest infections, etc.

A while back a French mum told me that in France they regularly use massage to help clear the congestion and avoid these secondary infections. Anyone know of the techniques (think the people who give treatments are pretty pricey).

Thanks!

meltedmarsbars Mon 05-Oct-09 14:48:29

Are they talking about percussion physiotherapy? Thats to loosen mucus in the bottom of the lungs.

BraveNewWorld Fri 09-Oct-09 00:06:04

sounds like it - anyone know how to do it? DD much better but still coughing like a smoker 14 days on.

Jacksmamwahahaha Fri 09-Oct-09 00:09:52

To drain the bottom of the lungs, lay her across your lap, face down, on an incline - face a bit lower than back. (Maybe on a pillow, for comfort.) With the palms of your hands, "drum" on the lower rib cage. Or use your fists and thump lightly. She will probably start coughing. Let her cough up whatever. Then flip her over, and do the same on her chest. First on an angle with her head lower than her belly. Then sat up and reclining slightly.
Twice a day for a couple of days should do it.

BraveNewWorld Sat 31-Oct-09 18:56:04

thanks so much Jacksmamwahahaha (impressed by seasonal username too!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now