Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

loose green stools

(3 Posts)
nussy Mon 05-Oct-09 07:48:22

Help! my ds is 8mths old and is bottlefed following severe reflux as an infant. He has had problems maintaining weight in the past, and has only put on .5kg since mid august.

he passes green frothy mucousy stools or green tinged stools everytime he eats and drinbks - now having 3 solid meals perday and 3 bottles.He was on pregestimil hypoallergenic milk for a while as an infant following a bug, then transferred bk to normal formula. since last week, he has been on lactose free milk, and iv cut out all dairy products from his food - he stools stopped being frothy and mucousy, but the smell is really offensive, he's still pooing after every meal and in between, and you can hear the diarhhoa in hi nappy sometimes before he's even finished eating.

He is still thriving but does sometimes look tired, despite sleeping for 12 hrs through the night undisturbed.However, over the last couple of days, he's started to moan gently in his sleep, and his sleep at night is disturbed - when checked - he has a nappy full of poo!I'm running out of ideas, and the GP / HV say its not normal for this frequency etc, but to persevere withe dairy free...

im worried that in time my ds will stop thriving, gaining weight ( last week he only put on 60g)and i feel like banging my head against a brick wall. Any suggestions?thanks!

kreecherlivesupstairs Mon 05-Oct-09 11:04:48

If I were you, I'd be wanting an analysis of his poo just to see if there was anything nasty in it. If your GP's surgery is approachable, scoop some up in a tupperware container (or even better ask for a stool spec pot which has a tiny spoon on the end of a stalk) and ask them to send it away. It doesn't sound terribly normal to me.

peekabooo Mon 05-Oct-09 11:19:04

hi nussy, my 8 month old son is lactose intollerant, he was just as you have described your son until we switched him to enfamil olac milk when he was 2 months, since then however he regularly gets the same frothy, discustingly smelly green watery poo for at least 2 weeks out of the month, my gp says some babies just never have a settled digestive pattern and the slightest thing can set it off and this will usually last until they are around 2 years old, my sons also got a lot worse now he is having 3 meals a day...although he doesnt actually eat very much at all when he has his meals, he hardly ever has a solid stool now. he also cries in his sleep with what seems to be belly ache. i totally know how you feel, its awful seeing them like this, il let you know how my son goes on and please let me know about yours

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now