Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Chicken Pox ; Would you send your DC to a friends' house when their DC has just come out in spots/

(13 Posts)
CJMommy Sun 04-Oct-09 18:21:24

Scenario: A friend has offered to babysit 20 month old DS (DH and I have tickets to a show). Her DD has just come out in spots (chicken pox)but she says it will be fine; better to catch it whilst they are young. DH happens to agree with this.

Now, whilst I agree that they should get it when they are young, it doesn't sit well with me sending DS knowing that there is a good chance he will develop it. I know about the 'chicken pox' party stories and am just wondering if I should send him or if I'm being a bit PFB?

Elk Sun 04-Oct-09 18:43:01

I think (may be wrong) that once the spots are out they need skin to skin contact to actually pass on the illness. If it is an evening show will the children actually see much of each other.

I must admit that I am wary of deliberately exposing my children to any illness. Your DS will have plenty of time to be exposed to chicken pox in nursery/pre-school etc.

AMumInScotland Sun 04-Oct-09 18:47:11

I don't think it's a particularly good idea to get chicken pox as young as 20 months - it's an unpleasant illness and better avoided.

But do you mean your DS will be in contact with her DC or just her? If it's just her, then unless she's never had chicken pox before and is in the early contagious stages of it herself, she won't pass it on.

notagrannyyet Sun 04-Oct-09 18:50:42

Well I sent my 4 year old to play with his cousin so that he could catch it. I wanted it out of the way and all older sibs had already had it. This was 2 weeks before Christmas and he woke up with spots on Christmas morning. Did feel a bit guilty.

Don't know if I would do it at 20 months there's lots of time for him to catch it before school.... not much help am I!

LIZS Sun 04-Oct-09 19:04:42

I wouldn't . There are enough other infections around atm without deliberately exposing him to one. It can be very nasty if they have complications.

nickytwotimes Sun 04-Oct-09 19:09:13

I wouldn't.
Bit young imo.
It is very contagious; skin to skin is not true unfortunately.

nickytwotimes Sun 04-Oct-09 19:11:00

Actuall, when I say a bit young, personally I would never deliberately let ds get infected. The complications are horrid and I am actually considering having ds vaccinated as they already do as standard in the States.

nigglewiggle Sun 04-Oct-09 19:22:51

It can be passed by skin to skin, but can also be passed in water droplets breathed out. It CANNOT be passed through contact with inanimate objects.

A relative of mine who is a GP advised me that under 1 year is a bit young and not ideal - after that, the younger the better. To avoid exposure, he advised staying in a different room from the infected child. I don't suppose this is possible for your friend?

I understand your dilemma -it goes against motherly instincts to expose your child to infection, but my DH had CPox at 21 and it really wasn't pleasant.

nickytwotimes Sun 04-Oct-09 19:39:32

Yes, sorry, I was a bit unclear there.
Skin to skin will pass it, but it is airborn too. Very contagious.

CJMommy Sun 04-Oct-09 20:06:49

Thanks all for the advice. You're right NW, it is against your instincts to purposely put your child at risk! I'm aware that he can catch it at anytime as he is in nursery full-time, and actually, I'm a little surprised he hasn't had it already. I'm going to see how my friends' DD is in a few days time as not due to go until end of the week.

Podrick Sun 04-Oct-09 20:15:51

I would advise that you deliberately try to get chickenpox over and done with at an early age

cass66 Mon 05-Oct-09 12:05:22

only infectious up to 5 days after the spots come out, so by the weekend should be ok. I would take them.

stressedbutluvem Tue 06-Oct-09 14:05:34

chicken pox is infectious until the scabs have dried.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now